Sign in to follow this  

Found my problem, no Direct3d driver

This topic is 4303 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just found out why I can't get my DX9 programs to work (why the CreateDevice returns D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE) The DX diagnostic said I can't test Direct3d because I don't have the driver, where can I get it?

Whilst I would be amazed if this is the case, there is a limit to how old hardware can be and still work through Direct3D 9. I'm pretty sure any pre-D3D7 hardware/drivers will fail to create a D3D9 device...

hth
Jack

Alright, now I am very confused.

I look in the system specs, and I don't see any evidence of a video card (makes it hard to know what it is), yet my directX games work fine. The directX tutorial programs from one of my programming books work fine as well.

I have DX9 and the DX9 SDK both installed.

This is driving me crazy, I haven't been able to get any of my directX programming to work on this computer.

It could well be a versioning conflict... might be an idea to uninstall all DirectX related material (not the runtime though - you can't safely do that) and reinstall the latest versions.

If the runtimes dont match with the SDK then things like debug and reference rasterizer can sometimes be deemed incompatable and not work. Suppose it's not a huge leap to say that it's doing the same in a more general case.

FWIW, I'm using Windows XP Pro with SP2 (includes DirectX 9.0c) and the December '05 SDK... they're all the same level - no mixing with 9.0c SDK's and 9.0b runtimes for example.

hth
Jack

This topic is 4303 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.