• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
daniel_i_l

Steering Behaviors

This topic is 4430 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Has anyone here implemented SB? What is a good way to do it and do you have any tips/advice for someone that wants to have a go at it himself? Thanks.

Advertisement
This thread (still active) discusses some ideas

I'd also recommend checking out the book "Programming Game Ai By Example," which devotes a lot of time to the subject

As stated in the other thread, check out Chris Reynolds work (clicky).

Mat's book (game ai by example) is a really nice introduction, with full source code and interesting demos, you should pick up this book.

Feel free to post more specific questions

The main thing that I want to know now is how to build the classes and stuff. I mean , should I have a "car" class, that containes a "steering" class that does all the calculations? Any tips about the implementation would be great.
Thanks.

Your implementation of a steering behaviour is as a control system for a dynamic process. You should design it as such. Therefore, you want an object that is to be controlled and an object to do the controlling. These two, taken together, define your controlled process.

Cheers,

Timkin

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!