Multithreading

Started by
0 comments, last by jollyjeffers 18 years ago
hello everyone i am trying to write a real simple multithreaded application but everytime i start an additional theard the main thread gets stuck or something so i cant leave the programm anymore is there anything i have to consider when multithreading with maybe presentparameters or filling the windowsclass thx for any hints you can give me
Advertisement
I think you'll get a better answer on this from the 'General Programming' forum...

I suggest you read through "GDC 2006: Coding for Multiple Cores" from the recent GDC.

Regarding Direct3D (which you seem to make a reference to?)... You'd need to create your device with D3DCREATE_MULTITHREADED to make Direct3D thread-safe. Not doing this and then accessing from multiple threads is just A Bad Thing™ [smile]

Having said that, you should still architect your program such that all Direct3D access is done from a single thread. The aforementioned flag adds a substantial performance penalty that can easily be avoided with good design.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement