• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Scipio3

Question about making a game with first-person and space ship components

This topic is 4608 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been designing a game that would take place both in space in ships and also on planets. I was planning for the ship part to be first person where you can walk around on the ships and control it through interfaces. I also planned for their to be a portion where you could walk around on plantets. About how much harder do you think it will be to make a game that has both a planetary and a ship-board component as opposed to making it just with ships in terms of development time and difficulty? -- Scipio3

Advertisement
There would be little to no extra work in my eyes.

You could use one camera class that would handle both the first-person camera inside the ship and the third-person camera when moving around planets (I presume it's going to be third-person).

No performance would be lost either if you had large planets as you could load "zones" of the planets at once which would not only remove loading screens but also keep performance to a maxmimum.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Just making a space sim is easier than a planatery game IMO. This is because a space sim can take place inside a nice start sphere/cube and all you have to do is render ships and such. In a planetary game you have to make a terrain renderer and then fill it up with objects, which can be difficualt to do efficiently. I would recommend landing at hangar/building and have a room to room based game when you land. This way you can just make interconnected rooms. Once you start getting into terrain you will find that your development has slowed greatly (unless you have nothing/little on your terrain).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!