[.net] WIN 32 API DEAD

Started by
31 comments, last by Geronimo2000 18 years ago
Quote:Original post by nimrand
"Dead" is a fairly subjective term when used this way. Its an API that will be supported for a long time to come, thanks to all the software that has been written to it. But, many newer programs are being targeted at .NET, and so it isn't being used directly quite as often as it used to be. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft started officially deprecating parts of the API in the next two years. Especially since the new APIs that Windows Vista is coming out with pretty much obsolete most of whats in the win 32 API. And, the new APIs like WinFX are not being written on top of existing APIs. They sit directly on top of the kernel, unlike most of the original .NET Framework libraries.

Some valid points but again, a long ways off from happening and some hooks to Win32 will even likely exist in MS's next OS. This is one reason MS moves so slow, they're support for legacy code. Whereas Apple just says "that's it" and cuts out the old stuff cleaning up the code base a lot. But to each their own.

Dinner time!

Ha, just noticed Sneftel's little "for all intensive purposes" comment haha. For all intents and purposes, maybe? ;-) This is for you Sneftel! http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/intensive.html

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Advertisement
Indeed. This one blows it out of the water, though.
Quote:Original post by gp343
Hi Guys,
I'm curious to know if the win 32 api is dead considering how everything is going towards .net?

Depends on what your long term programming goals are.

If you wish to write DX9 applications for example, the Win32 API provides a quick shortcut to establishing the base component of virtually all DX9 applications, i.e. a window upon which you can draw your game onto.

The Win32 API will also take care of housekeeping duties in the background, while your DX9 app is running, such as window messages, of which you can pretty much ignore most if not all of them (most are simply sent to DefWindowProc which provides default message handling on your applications behalf).

I'm sure .net can provide this stepping stone too, to the DX9 API, but to be honest, that would seem a bit like overkill in this context. Whereas Win32 to me seems a lot more slimmer, with a smaller memory foot print.

If you wish to write purely windows GUI applications, then perhaps .net would be the wisest choice (although I've never used it myself... Personally, I'm a Win32 API man).
Why'd you have to check "Check here to be notified by email whenever someone replies to your topic." for a post that's sure to get a bazillion replies when your mailbox is full?!?
Quote:RCPT TO generated following response:
552 RCPT TO:<arlef@lineone.net> Mailbox disk quota exceeded

Original message follows.

Received: from AspEmail [216.185.96.234] by zwave.com
(SMTPD32-8.15) id A0A6B1700EC; Thu, 06 Apr 2006 20:30:14 -0500
TO: arlef@lineone.net
REPLY-TO: webmaster@gamedev.net
SUBJECT: GameDev.Net Discussion Forums - Reply to your posting
DATE: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 20:36:02 -0600
Message-Id: <200604062030680.SM00988@AspEmail>

Hello, gp343!

You have received a reply to your posting on the GameDev.Net Discussion Forums from sneftel regarding the subject "WIN 32 API DEAD".

You can view the reply at http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=385788
Quote:Original post by medevilenemy
The last few comments = silly semantic commentary

Ok, fine, it is "depreciated" and "not used very often" but for all intensive purposes... and to irritate some people, this basically means it is dead. By this reasoning it has been "dead" for quite a while now (nobody ever liked microsoft's API anyway -- it was too evil :-))

Actually, Win32 is still used more than .NET. It has not been depreciated (that's mere speculation), and it is still being updated - as recently as March 2006.

So, no, it's not dead by any stretch of the imagination. And if you think it's evil, try Xlib.
i doubt we'll see .net used for professional games. In addition to the loss of power that other posters have already mentioned, portability is another issue. I wouldn't be suprised to see a future xbox console that has the .net framework, but if companies want to port their games to other systems, they're going to have to write at least one version of the program in C or C++, so they might as write the xbox version in C++ as well and squeeze out all the power they can get.
For all intensive purposes and with fragrant disregard for anyone's feelings, it's deprecated, NOT depreciated!!!
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
What do you think .NET is implemented on top of?

QFT.

Win32 API isn't going anywhere, not until 128 bit computing is prevalent and Microsoft is tired of supporting Win16, Win32, Win64, and Win128. :P (Commodore models, anyone? Need a Plus/4 and Vic-20...)

C# not used for "professional" games? I beg to disagree. Sheesh.

My opinion: too much emphasis is placed on "engine speed", "glitzy graphics", "sound effects" - these are the things that make elitists decry C# as a "game programming language." Know what? Maybe folks should learn how to make a fun game first... and how to make it look and sound better second.
..what we do will echo throughout eternity..
I personally don't find Win32 to be coined as dead yet, because pretty much what has already been said. People are still using, alot of applications are still built from Win32, but don't get me wrong when I say built. They aren't complete Win32, but there is some Win32 in the source. Doesn't OpenGL have Win32 in it, but yet you don't have to code the Win32 part in OpenGL? DirectX previously/currently has Win32 code. I'm currently making a game in Win32, before I move to DirectX. = ]

I'm just curious, I'm not trying to start a C++ vs C# war, I just want to learn. But are there any professional AAA - A, or even published games I can get at my local game store that are made out of C#?
Quote:I'm just curious, I'm not trying to start a C++ vs C# war, I just want to learn. But are there any professional AAA - A, or even published games I can get at my local game store that are made out of C#?

Unfortunately, no [smile] That's one of the most frequent things you hear why not to use C# for your game, but it's hardly a valid argument for the proposition that C# is inherently unfit to code games in.

MDX and C# have only been around for a few years (iirc 2.5 and 4 respectively), which makes them 'new technology' which no big company will risk using until it becomes 'proven technology'. With the advent of .NET2.0, I'd say the .NET platform as a whole could very well be qualified as proven/mature by now. MDX however has had a few startup troubles and in my opinion it only really kicked into gear since Summer 2005, with finally a committed MS team being assigned to it only since the GDC 2006.

So from this point of view it's still too early for companies to risk using MDX as the prime platform for their final games, but you hear a lot about big players already using it for their studio tools (confirmed, but I'm not sure if it's ok to disclose). That should be a clear indication that MDX has its place in the industry and I feel it's only a matter of time before C# games will be coming out, especially now with XNA and the prospective ability to ship on the XBox360.

Here we touch upon another real downside to developing in .NET, that again has little to do with the fitness for game coding of the platform itself. As pointed out before, .NET games aren't as portable across consoles as C++ ones can be. I think this might just be the biggest issue for AAA title developers. IIRC, consoles constitute about 90% of the games market out there, so with the current limitation that MDX can only be used on Windows, these developers won't invest in making a game for such a small market.

Now if the potential market for .NET games could be increased to say 30% with XBox360 publishing in about a year, things will become more interesting. It's still not an ideal situation for AAA developers, but with MS owning quite a few of those through MS Game Studios and since these mainly publish on MS platforms (ie. Windows and the XBox360 by next year), the .NET platform and MDX may become much more interesting for them. Not to mention to quite a few indies who probably would be more than happy with the prospect of the ability to reach some 30% of the market.

Hope this satisfies your curiosity :)
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement