Pitching a game idea

Started by
10 comments, last by Pseudo 23 years, 2 months ago
How would I go about pitching an idea to Nintendo. I have a great idea for a game for the game cube, and I don''t know who to contact. Would they ever considering hooking me up with a publisher, or would they just steal the idea and fuck me over? The idea would only work for the game cube, so I can''t offer it to anyone else. I cant find any contact information. Could someone please point me in the right direction?
Advertisement
If you are lucky they will "just steal the idea and fuck you over", if you''re not they will just ignore you.
http://www.nintendo.com/corp/faqs/faqslist.html#3

Although that looks like its meant for consumers, Nintendo is very arrogant and would probably treat you the same way unless you were one of their licensed developers.

Any reason why it would _HAVE_ to be on the Gamecube? If it was because it used one of their franchise series/characters they''d probably just laugh at you :\.
*Laughs and can''t stop*

Hehe, sorry but Nintendo doesn''t get ideas pitched to them unless you have made yourself and another company a whole lot of dough.

The best way would be to get a design doc ready and a demo, take it to a publisher, get some money then a real team and start developing the game and let the publisher worry about getting approved by Nintendo for it to be on the gamecube... a long shot, but better then setting up camp outside their offices.
- Sephiras
Talking about arrogancy, this is a pre-written reply I got when I tryied to submit a 100% finished game to Sierra.

"You sound like a very bright young person. Thank you for sharing your ideas for a game. Unfortunately, we do not accept outside game idea submissions because we already have a talented team of game designers who are bursting with great ideas. We have good game ideas that we do not have enough time or money to make all of them into actual games.
Thank again for taking the time to write to us. With the support of creative customers like you, Sierra On-Line can continue to be the best game company in the world."
Arrogancy? Its called real life.

Sorry but the days of Atari when anyone who could make a game would get published are over. Its quality control.

You don't just walk up to the giants gates and except to be welcomed in, you need to work your way up there, instead of by passing all the crummy crap like submitting your game to a smaller publisher and seeing if you could actualy sell it. Once you prove yourself in the industry, prove yourself again and again and again until you can get noticed by the big guys.

I think a lot of people don't realize that on here and its sort of amusing, but also a little despressing; but thats life.

Edited by - Sephiras on February 1, 2001 12:23:55 PM
- Sephiras
Another way I would suggest is to actually meet these people at the GDC.That''s one of the best ways to see the big names in the gaming industry and actually talk to them.Of course,it''s going to cost you $1300 just for the ticket,but hey,you might get lucky
"instead of by passing all the crummy crap like submitting your game to a smaller publisher and seeing if you could actualy sell it. Once you prove yourself in the industry, prove yourself again and again and again until you can get noticed by the big guys."

You know what happens with that? The fun goes away, and what''s the point then? You can make a game for fun even if it''s small and you get little money but you''re having fun, if you join the corporate establishment and you show "again and again" that you can do things that can compete with other companies you will care more about money and your public image ltd and the fan dies cos you turn from an artist into a gear in a corporate machine.
I''ve visited Sierra Studios and talked with some of the programmers back when they were working on KQ8. I was looking to work there but didn''t have enough experience. It was still a cool trip.

Everyone who has a contract with any company is not allowed to look at unpublished games. Companies can get sued if they do. If they looked at your stuff, said ''no thanks'' then later made a game that resembled what you showed them, you can sue them.

People who work at software companies can''t talk about the projects they are working on. Ideas get stolen that way.

It''s not arrogence to say you''re number one. It''s stupid to say ''we''re pretty good.''

Ben

Yes it is arrogance to say you''re number one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement