• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

just...have...no clue where to start

This topic is 4336 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am just getting started in game programming. I know da libertybasic, html, javascript, a little java, and am trying to figure out c and c++. What I need is a good game making engine and I do not want to hear Gamemaker tried it and it's easy but the outcome is dissapointing. I am hoping on the engine to be free. Please help me out.

Advertisement
Generally, using a game engine requires knowing a programming language (often C or C++).

I know the languages listed above;can you give me a link to any good game development engines?

Quote:
Original post by brandonman
lo?

This is not a chat room. This is a forum. It is customary to wait 24 hours before bumping a thread.

Anyway, first of all, I doubt there are many game engines in the languages you listed (and definitely none in HTML). Before you get a game engine, you should make sure you learn the language you are going to use well. It is also a good idea to make a few games without using a pre-made game engine.

Quote:
any tutorials on it?

Any tutorials on what?

OK, so you want to use a game engine. Well, the majority of the game engines are written in C/C++, and if you aren't completely familiar with C/C++, I suggest you learn C/C++ before you attempt game programming. It makes it twice as hard if you are not only trying to learn the graphics library, but trying get a better understanding of the languge. Also, you should check out this discussion we were having before: http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=77469

I didn't see much there. All I saw was a tutorial on openGL and it only had how to install on mac:( If pausable people, I need a different discussion or tutorial on beginning game programming.

Quote:
making a game with out the editor i guess. I hope you kknow where to find some

What do you mean "without the editor?" If you mean without a programming language, any such system will be rather limited and/or difficult to use.

Also, programming languages are independent of the editor you use, similar to how English is independent of what type of paper or writing utensil you use.

I'll check out the area in the programming book I have, although it doesn't help that much. I have a C++/C compiler but kind of hard to get aquanted with. I'm gonna try diving back in for a while and I'll tell you results. Please post any tutorials you may find though.

Quote:
I didn't see much there. All I saw was a tutorial on openGL and it only had how to install on mac:( If pausable people, I need a different discussion or tutorial on beginning game programming.

OpenGL doesn't really require any installation (unless you are updating your drivers).

Also, I'd recommend learning Python.

downloading python at the moment. Im gonna check back into OpenGL since I don't need to install

bah, It didn't download right. I'm just gonna go with the openGL for now. I'll go to the tutorial and then be back.

I'll probably be called dumb, but where do I get the openGL compilers? I'll try googling maybe.

If you are reasonably conversant in Java, you might want to check out the Lightweight Java Game Library. It was used successfully on at least one IGF project I believe. Don't feel obligated to learn C++ just because it's the most common language on these boards (unless of course you are trying to get a job in the industry). You will have more options, certainly, but the options for other languages are far from non-existant.

Quote:
I'll probably be called dumb, but where do I get the openGL compilers? I'll try googling maybe.

Whoa there...I think maybe you should slow down a little bit. For one thing, OpenGL is for drawing images in 2d and 3d. You don't seem real sure on the difference between a language, a compiler, and an IDE - by the way, openGL is not a language and does not have its own compiler, it is an API - so I don't think it'd be wise for you to start making non-text-based games yet. Have you made something like Tic-Tac-Toe with C or C++?

You might want to check out this page.

I think I'm gonna use my strongest true programming language-libertybasic,now I gotta find a tutorial for this. I am still not exacly sure though

I'm skimming that fairly good C tutorial and so far, it's going good, but in my C compiler which is Dev-C++, I run the program and it pops up for a split second and closes. What is the command to make it wait untill I close or keep going? I'm gonna try to experiment and see

Here's a few links for you to check out.

GameTutorials.com - Great tutorials. Some for C++, some on DirectX, some for OpenGL, and a few for Win32 programming. Some tutorials are free and some are not.
GarageGames.com - GarageGames is the maker of the Torque Game Engine which is cool for 3D games. They also have Torque Game Builder for making 2D games (don't judge TGB by it's looks, you can script using C++ and it is very advanced in the types of games you can make). Unfortunately neither of these are free (though very cheap for how good they are.
Klink Software - Maker of the Dim3 game engine. It's a pretty well supported engine and you can visit the official forum for it here. Dim3 is 100% free.
Ogre - a very very very advanced rendering engine for games. It's completely free, but it is only a renderer, so you'd have to find a way to take care of everything else (AI, physics, etc).

That's all I can think of right now. Try some of those out and see if any help.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement