• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
brandonman

just...have...no clue where to start

This topic is 4431 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am just getting started in game programming. I know da libertybasic, html, javascript, a little java, and am trying to figure out c and c++. What I need is a good game making engine and I do not want to hear Gamemaker tried it and it's easy but the outcome is dissapointing. I am hoping on the engine to be free. Please help me out.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by brandonman
lo?

This is not a chat room. This is a forum. It is customary to wait 24 hours before bumping a thread.

Anyway, first of all, I doubt there are many game engines in the languages you listed (and definitely none in HTML). Before you get a game engine, you should make sure you learn the language you are going to use well. It is also a good idea to make a few games without using a pre-made game engine.

OK, so you want to use a game engine. Well, the majority of the game engines are written in C/C++, and if you aren't completely familiar with C/C++, I suggest you learn C/C++ before you attempt game programming. It makes it twice as hard if you are not only trying to learn the graphics library, but trying get a better understanding of the languge. Also, you should check out this discussion we were having before: http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=77469

I didn't see much there. All I saw was a tutorial on openGL and it only had how to install on mac:( If pausable people, I need a different discussion or tutorial on beginning game programming.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!