just...have...no clue where to start

Started by
30 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 18 years ago
Quote:Original post by brandonman
I'll probably be called dumb, but where do I get the openGL compilers? I'll try googling maybe.

Whoa there...I think maybe you should slow down a little bit. For one thing, OpenGL is for drawing images in 2d and 3d. You don't seem real sure on the difference between a language, a compiler, and an IDE - by the way, openGL is not a language and does not have its own compiler, it is an API - so I don't think it'd be wise for you to start making non-text-based games yet. Have you made something like Tic-Tac-Toe with C or C++?

You might want to check out this page.
It only takes one mistake to wake up dead the next morning.
Advertisement
I think I'm gonna use my strongest true programming language-libertybasic,now I gotta find a tutorial for this. I am still not exacly sure though
I'm skimming that fairly good C tutorial and so far, it's going good, but in my C compiler which is Dev-C++, I run the program and it pops up for a split second and closes. What is the command to make it wait untill I close or keep going? I'm gonna try to experiment and see
Here's a few links for you to check out.

GameTutorials.com - Great tutorials. Some for C++, some on DirectX, some for OpenGL, and a few for Win32 programming. Some tutorials are free and some are not.
GarageGames.com - GarageGames is the maker of the Torque Game Engine which is cool for 3D games. They also have Torque Game Builder for making 2D games (don't judge TGB by it's looks, you can script using C++ and it is very advanced in the types of games you can make). Unfortunately neither of these are free (though very cheap for how good they are.
Klink Software - Maker of the Dim3 game engine. It's a pretty well supported engine and you can visit the official forum for it here. Dim3 is 100% free.
Ogre - a very very very advanced rendering engine for games. It's completely free, but it is only a renderer, so you'd have to find a way to take care of everything else (AI, physics, etc).

That's all I can think of right now. Try some of those out and see if any help.
Beginner FAQ
I'm skimming that fairly good C tutorial and so far, it's going good, but in my C compiler which is Dev-C++, I run the program and it pops up for a split second and closes. What is the command to make it wait untill I close or keep going? I'm gonna try to experiment and see

If you are talking about C, try adding a getchar(); at the end of your main function (before the }. It is also generally considered good practice to have a newline in between the last line of a function and the }). If you are talking about C++, try adding a std::cin.get(); at the end of your main function.
There is many ways to pause a console

but since many games/app are just loops of commands i would suggest use a while to lock your program
but this might be bad if you have no ideal on programming methods.
Bring more Pain
Out of the tons of posts here, it doesn't seem like anything is helping. I still need help getting started.
hey,

I'm getting started on programming games too. Seems to me, first you have to (allmost) completely know C or C++. It's not that hard if you have some experience with other languages...

then make some text-based programs and games, just using the basic input output of C.

then the hard work (I haven't started this yet) is the graphical part I guess. learning syntax for openGL or directX or something and trying to apply it to the programs you've allready written.

and after that a real project. *feeling depressed*

But it will be worth it :D
Out of the tons of posts here, it doesn't seem like anything is helping. I still need help getting started.

There has been some good advice, but it is not the kind that you wanted to get. The fact of the matter is that if you don't want to use somthing like GameMaker or make a mod, you are going to have to learn a programming language really well.

There is no way to learn a programming language to the depth you need just by reading tutorials; you have to write non-trivial programs with it. This means doing text-based programs that are not attractive, fun or cool. I would strongly reccomend learning from a book.

As for the language you use, it does not really matter too much, but I would suggest Python. It is relatively easy and their are some game engines you can use with it (later).

Good Luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement