• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

how you got started

This topic is 4394 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey, i'm new here, and i want to make games (like you haven't heard that one before). i'm learning to program, but finding it difficult -- how did all you guys get started?

Advertisement
I started with ChipmunkBASIC. Then I bought Teach Yourself C++ In 24 Hours and learned C++. Then I wasted $300 and a semester of my life taking a C++ class only to learn nothing. Then I got a Mac, went to iDevGames.com and learned from people there. Now I use SDL/OpenGL so I develop simultaneously for Windows, Linux, and Mac.

I got started in programming back when I was a little kid when I was given my first computer as a present: a Tandy Color Computer 2 with an in-built version of BASIC with a "how to learn BASIC" book, and no other software what-so-ever. Other than BASIC, I could only run the software that I wrote myself!

After teaching myself the basics of BASIC (and a bunch of terrible coding practices that took me ages to shake off), and given I was a huge fan of gameshows back then, I started programming text versions of my favourite gameshows (Wheel of Fortune, the minigames in The Price is Right, Press Your Luck etc.). Eventually I moved onto more graphical games, although nothing too fancy (the limitations of BASIC on the CoCo 2 were quite severe). I didn't learn C until I reached university, but having learnt BASIC meant it a lot easier to pick up.

I guess a good way to learn programming on your own is to find a good beginner book and work your way through it, making side programs using the skills you've already learnt on your way.

Like many people here I started programming in basic on 8bits computers as a kid and then things went smoothly from there. So I can't really help but I can imagine that it must be quite overwhelming to start now. My advice is just to take it a small step at a time.

What are you having trouble with anyway?

I got started a while back with various things, then decided it's not what I want for a profession. It's just a hobby now. It can be fun to get things going though.

whatever some people might say on these forums, C++ is not the be all and end all. There are tons of languages, and when you learn programming in one you can take lessons from that and apply it to another one.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/coding4fun/ is a good place to start. Structured projects with good articles about why you are coding what you are coding.

As others have said above, I started programming 8bits when I was a child, started off on the Oric 1 (props to anyone who knows what that is). All the lessons I learned from that, the acorn electron, bbc micro, spectrum, c64, amiga and the loads of different languages I've come across on the PC helped me to be the decent coder I am today. But I'm still learning, there is always something new to be learned.

Just remember a language is just a tool... a means of expression. All languages have their limitations, pros and cons. You choose the right language for you... something simple enough for you not to give up because you don't know where to start - but complex enough to write something. I've written little games in different 8 bit basics, c, pascal, c++, java and C#. So experiment, find something you like enough to learn on, and just sit down and do something [smile]

Quote:
Original post by Benjamin Heath
What are you having trouble with anyway?

i have a beginning programming book, but i'm having problems making the jump from there to another book for c++ -- maybe i just haven't tried hard enough.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement