• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

New Console

This topic is 4276 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I find programming for consoles utterly confusing trying to understand others. I may be a kind of new programmer but I want to start my own console. Would anyone like to help OR give me some tutorial links? I know about 5 programming languages and each one touched slightly(except javascript, html, and libertybasic which I have tried hitting hard on) I am hoping on building a whole new console. I don't care if its even simpler then the nes was. Oh, by the way, it may help- I know electronics too. may be helpful

Advertisement
You may be interested in the XGameStation. Looks really cool for tinkerers, and goes into everything from hardware design, Verilog, FPGAs, to designing the software API and making games for it.

I am in desperate need. would give me something to do and would be easier to program for I am guessing. Even if it's harder, I would be proud and take the extra time so plz post some links you might find.

when I do finally get started, I will hire you all for the team. We'll communicate online and send plans. Please help!

A console would be rather difficult to make from scratch and would be very difficult to sell (that is, if you plan on selling it).

Quote:
Original post by brandonman
It was active earlier on the forums...quiet now.

Again, this is NOT a chatroom.

talking to you roboguy, I don't plan on distributing it quite yet. If you all could post some tutorials on here overnight, dat would be great. I have to go to bed so anyone who comes here, don't expect me to reply. Still looking for tutorials...zzzzzzzzz

Quote:
talking to you roboguy, I don't plan on distributing it quite yet. If you all could post some tutorials on here overnight, dat would be great. I have to go to bed so anyone who comes here, don't expect me to reply. Still looking for tutorials...zzzzzzzzz

Tutorials on what? Making consoles? I doubt there would be many on that (if any).

Quote:
I am in desperate need. would give me something to do and would be easier to program for I am guessing. Even if it's harder, I would be proud and take the extra time so plz post some links you might find.

If you're this deperate, frankly, this project is probably above you. Though it is not an impossible task, if you find other consoles "utterly confusing", what makes you think you'll be able to accomplish the task of making your own? This sounds like a wholly unrealistic project, but feel free to prove me wrong..

To design a console from scratch, you need more than 10 years of solid working experience in digital electronics, and you need to be extremely good in the trade.

In addition, you need a very robust software design skillset, to be able to define at least the programming interface to the console - and you would have to provide samples and proof-of-concepts as well as documentation and help for your development kits.

To manufacture a console prototype, you'll need a vast amount of custom chips and electronics which can cost a pretty penny. Also, you'll need to be capable of microelectronic manufacturing to solder all this electronics together - if you have looked inside a NES, for example, some of the solders are extremely tiny (even more so in modern consoles).

To sell the idea and the actual console, you'll need extremely good marketing skills and you need to be generally convincing. I'm sorry to say this, but you show no signs of either at this time.

In short, you could as well say, "I'll climb to the moon with the ladder I built last week".

If you're still willing to learn how to make a console, I recommend you start studying hard for the next ten years or so, then re-assessing the situation, repeating studying as necessary, and finally build the machine if you're still interested in doing so.

Kind regards,

Quote:
Original post by Roboguy
Tutorials on what? Making consoles? I doubt there would be many on that (if any).

Sure there are. They are called "Electronic Engineering classes". You can find them at your local University. You can also find tutorials at places like this.

They aren't free, and they aren't easy. Of course, manufacturing the hardware needed for a game console is neither cheap nor easy as well.

You're not going to find one that says "Instructions on making your own XBox console on a whole lot of really big breadboards", but everything you need can be found in those publications.

didn't you have a thread where you couldn't find a game engine to use? now you wanna build a console... from scratch. sorry, i can't be as nice as everyone here. you need to slow down and start with the basics. learn a language, make some programs, learn an API, make an application (or game). learn some more. in that order.

Why don't you want to use XGameStation? Sure, it comes with a premade console, but it also come with an ebook that describes everything you need to make the console(and how it all works). Of course, you'll need to program in Assembly, which is pretty difficult for new programmers.

Making a new game console shouldn't be that hard, if you have previous electronics experience. Basically, what you need is:

-> A graphics board, which is basically a circuit board that interfaces the game console to the display (which is most probably a TV screen). It will have the logic required to translate something like "Set pixel 21x4's colour to red" into a command that the display will understand. You can make this more advanced and add things like shader support.

-> A main processing board, which will have memory to store your game (this could be loaded from, for example, a game cd, but you will probably want to store this in an EEPROM for now), a main processor that will run your game, and some RAM. This main board should be connected to the graphics board, to which it will send graphic commands. Any keypads or user inputs should also be added here. Optional audio circuitry is also to be interfaced here.
How you would operate this system is that you would program your game on, for example, a PC, and then download that onto the EEPROM, from which the processor will load the game and excecute it when power is supplied to the console.

Now, you might be wondering, how do you implement this? Well luckily, a company named Parallax provides some cheap materials to build this system. You will need to order:
http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=27112 (your processor board)
http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=30012 (your graphics board)

This, in total, will cost you about $60.00. You can easily use these components in another circuit though.

First, you can connect the graphics board to the BS1 (processor) board, and then you can download your game onto the console. The programming language for the BS1 is pretty simple, and talking to the graphics board is also straightforward.
Everything, including how to download a program onto the BS1 is clearly documented on their website.

By modern standards, this system will obviously be a bit old, but it offers an excellent starting point. You can slowly then add features, and then maybe one day, who knows, this might be the new competition for the 360! (It's going a bit far now).

Good Luck!

One more thing...

If you are thinking that you're a bit advanced to be using a microcontroller like BS1, you might want to look into www.microchip.com. They make cheap microcontrollers, for one or two dollars you can get a pretty decent microcontroller for your game system.

Some good links:
http://www.rentron.com/Myke3.htm
http://www.rentron.com/Myke4.htm

[Edited by - AcePilot on April 9, 2006 6:15:01 PM]

I know bs2(basic stamp two) and I can't spend a TON of money but I can spend some. If anyone will help me I would greatly appreciate.(maybe a tutorial or tips).

by the way, I don't expect much, just maybe graphics like the first console-the pingpong thingy.

Hello. any true good tutorials you may have found yet? I've googled it tons of times and only come up with things about big companies making new games and consoles. Has anyone else found better?

Quote:
Hello. any true good tutorials you may have found yet? I've googled it tons of times and only come up with things about big companies making new games and consoles. Has anyone else found better?

I think I said this before, but if you're this desperate for other people to find "tutorials" for you, are you sure you're ready for this? There have been two good suggestions already (AcePilot's BASIC stamp and the XGameStation), what exactly are you looking for? If these two suggestions can't get you started, this project is probably too difficult for you.

Making a console is the same as programming a language. You CAN'T DO IT unless you know the building blocks. Try to make a calculator, read about how they work, study circuits and all that. Make your very own working calculator which can do all the basic equations(+-/*). If you don't know how you will go about making something this big, don't do it. It's situations like yours that keep the console competition low in this world.

Quote:
by the way, I don't expect much, just maybe graphics like the first console-the pingpong thingy.

You do realize that even that requires an immense amount of knowledge about electrical engineering, right? For instance it's much more complicated than making a "simple" TV.

You will not find tutorials on this subject anywhere because what you're asking for is a tutorial on 4 years of a college major, plus another few years of specialized learning. It's not something that you can "just do" without a lot of learning any more than you could "just" make a new TV for your living room.

-me

Exactly. Creating a console means building the circuit boards, having a damn lot of knowledge having to do with electricity so you don't use more power than needed, and big, big oven mits for when you mess up due to not knowing what you're doing, and shocking yourself.

You haven't thought enough about this before wanting to create it, like most of the kids who come through wanting to make a mmorpg in strictly java

Here are a few tutorials that will help you on your path to *illionaire-hood:
The Art of Electronics
The Art of Computer Programming, Volumes 1-3 Boxed Set

After you fully read and entirely understand those great tutorials, you'll be ready to start searching on your own! You'll finally be able to google for terms and phrases such as "VHDL", "Verilog", "FPGA", "ALU", "Boolean Algebra", "Digital Logic", and many more!

I was actually since my last post, thinking about the bs2 idea,I have the bs2. Just gotta get the video thing. Thank you guys.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement