New Console

Started by
31 comments, last by gregs 17 years, 11 months ago
Making a console is the same as programming a language. You CAN'T DO IT unless you know the building blocks. Try to make a calculator, read about how they work, study circuits and all that. Make your very own working calculator which can do all the basic equations(+-/*). If you don't know how you will go about making something this big, don't do it. It's situations like yours that keep the console competition low in this world.
Hello?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by brandonman
by the way, I don't expect much, just maybe graphics like the first console-the pingpong thingy.

You do realize that even that requires an immense amount of knowledge about electrical engineering, right? For instance it's much more complicated than making a "simple" TV.

You will not find tutorials on this subject anywhere because what you're asking for is a tutorial on 4 years of a college major, plus another few years of specialized learning. It's not something that you can "just do" without a lot of learning any more than you could "just" make a new TV for your living room.

-me
Exactly. Creating a console means building the circuit boards, having a damn lot of knowledge having to do with electricity so you don't use more power than needed, and big, big oven mits for when you mess up due to not knowing what you're doing, and shocking yourself.

You haven't thought enough about this before wanting to create it, like most of the kids who come through wanting to make a mmorpg in strictly java
Hello?
Here are a few tutorials that will help you on your path to *illionaire-hood:
The Art of Electronics
The Art of Computer Programming, Volumes 1-3 Boxed Set

After you fully read and entirely understand those great tutorials, you'll be ready to start searching on your own! You'll finally be able to google for terms and phrases such as "VHDL", "Verilog", "FPGA", "ALU", "Boolean Algebra", "Digital Logic", and many more!
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
I was actually since my last post, thinking about the bs2 idea,I have the bs2. Just gotta get the video thing. Thank you guys.
I can tell you how to make an ez-mode console to play Pong. Knowing some electronics will help you.

You will need:

1 large cardboard box, like from an electric over or a refridgerator.
1 pair of saftey scissors.
1 roll of clear scotch tape, or packing tape.
2 Posicle sticks. Toungue depressors will work too.
1 Metal clothes hanger.
2 plastic cups
1 Black marker
1 Pad of white paper.
1 Flashlight.

Assembly instructions:

A. Creating the project box

1. Open the box so that open end is on the floor.

2. Cut out a hatch in the back of the box, like a door, so that you may easily enter it.

B. Creating a display device
1. On the outside of the box, opposite the side you cut the door in to, tape a single piece of paper from your pad of paper.

2. Carfully cut a hole in the box, cutting around the piece of paper you tape to it. This will create a window.

3. Take another piece of paper from your pad, and using liberal amounts of tape, tape the piece of paper over the hole you just cut but only along the top and bootom edges of the window you cut.

Tape here
vvvv
____
| |
| |
|____|
^^^^
and here

4. Climb in to the box using the door you created in A.

5. Tape the flashlight to the inside of the box so that it is pointint towards the paper you taped over the hole.

C. Creating the controllers

1. Cut an opening to the left of your screen just big enough so that you can insert one of the plastic cups without it falling through.

2. Repeat step C.1. on the right hand side of the screen.

3. Climb inside the box.

4. Using the black marker, draw an arrow on the side of the cup that you can see.

D. Creating the graphics

1. Pull out a new piece of paper from your pad.

2. Using the black marker, draw two paddles.

3. Cut the paddles out using the saftey scissors (be careful!!).

4. Draw a ball.

5. Cut the ball out using the saftey scissors.

E. Creating the graphics drivers

1. Tape one end of a popsicle stick to one of the paddles.

2. Repeate step E.1., using the free popsicle stick, on the remaining paddle.

3. Unwind the metal clothes hanger so that it is straight.

4. Tape one end of the straigthened hanger to the ball.

F. Creating the game engine

1. Find one of your friends, and ask him to climb in to the box using the door you cut in step A.2.

2. Climb in to the box.

3. Have your friend stand to one side, and hold on to the clothers hanger.

4. Have your friend insert the clothes hanger so that the 'ball' is in the middle of the paper-covered window you created.

5. Sit inside the box and hold the popsicle stick paddles so that the paddles are on opposite ends of the 'screen'.

G. Operating your new console

1. When two people approach your new console, have your friend turn on the flash light.

2. The flashlight will cast a shadow of a. the ball, b. the left paddle, and c. the right paddle on to the screen.

3. In a robot-like voice say 'Welcome to pong-tron 6000. Please turn dials to move paddles'.

4. When you see the arrows you drew on the plastic cups moving, move the approrpiate paddle in the right direction.

5. Have your friend move the ball around like it were really bouncing off of the paddles.

6. When the ball hits a paddle, say 'Boop'.

7. When the ball hits the edge of the screen say 'Beep'.

8. When a player misses the ball with his paddle, say 'BZZZZZZ. GAME OVER PLAYER' and then the players name.

Thats it!

ROFL sorry just ROFL!

I just got a new hot water tank, I'm going to grab its box from the recycling now!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Ok, I have decided this is over my head. I will wait for a few years!(at least)
This guy has a tutorial on his website.

http://www.nentari.com/building_your_own_game_console.htm

I think you could build it in no time.
WOOOOW!!!
I'm shocked!

I can't wait to make my own console!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement