C++ Game Functions

Started by
9 comments, last by Ravuya 18 years ago
I've been noticing a lot of mod coders trying to figure out what functions do. So post functions and code your familiar with (what game its for) and // what it does. Once there is good collection here I will organize the data and put it in a downloadable and easy to search document. Have at it:
Advertisement
Um..... what?
int Confusion() {
return *((int*)"What is he talking about?!!?");
}
he's talking about mod programming and scripting
Bring more Pain
I actually think I know what he means, but it may be late-night code bleariness causing this.

A lot of game modders (say, for UT2K4) script the levels they design, etc. But when they want to take it to the higher level, they begin hacking away at the game code itself (in DLLs, etc) to try to get the engine to load different model formats, accept different types of gameplay (I had an interesting conversation with a guy at a development company about his product experience with modders trying to do this...he loved the idea, but then again, he got his start modding :-P). One good example is modders who are tired of a simple deathmatch game, so they hack the code to allow a deathmatch CTF type game, essentially rewriting parts of the gameplay engine to do it.

I'm not a modder at all, but if you're really interested in this, I recommend frequenting modder forums. Also, just for future reference, you may want to give a bit more background on what you're proposing.

Hope that helps,
Aviosity
Thanks for that and I will keep that in mind. I did post on some mod forums as well.
The original plan was to make this document for half life 2 modders because Valve has made the game so modder friendly. I decided while im at it I might as well make life easyer for all modders.
once again thanks for clearing things up for me aviosity.
Quote:Original post by Omnibluegorilla
The original plan was to make this document for half life 2 modders because Valve has made the game so modder friendly.

If by "modder friendly" you mean they've given out a huge messy interface to a huge buggy engine, with a grand total of maybe 200 lines of documentation written by Valve. Then yes, they're modder friendly.

Point Taken.
So this way it will be more mod friendly if I can get people to give me enough data to put together some decent documentation.
If you want some better documentation for half life 2, why not contribute to the Source SDK wiki?
Half Life 2 engine is buggy? *sarcasm is my friend!*

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement