• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Doggan

Quad-Buffer Stereo (definition)

This topic is 4518 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking for a good definition(s) of quad-buffer stereo. I see many links regarding the support of quad-buffer stereo, but nothing defining what it is. I am familiar with it, but I am doing a presentation and would like a nice definition to go with. Or, if any of you could provide me with your own definition or explanation, I can maybe piece together my own definition. Thanks :)

Advertisement
from http://www.orthostereo.com/geometryopengl.html

"Quad-buffering is the ability to render into left and right front and back buffers independently. The front left and front right buffers displaying the stereo images can be swapped in sync with shutterglasses while the back left and back right buffers are being updated - giving a smooth stereoscopic display."

interesting stuff - i'd never heard of this before.

Thanks for the link.

We use this in our virtual-reality simulations (i.e. with head-mounted-displays). A very profound effect to see first hand ;)

Unfortunately our hardware is moving away from support for shutter glasses - specifically, LCD and Plasma displays simply do not have the ability to change displayed images on command in a rigidly deterministic fashion.

In the case of a CRT, a given pixel is refreshed at precise intervals and any change is instantaneous on that interval.

In the case of LCD, the color of a given pixel itself determines how quickly it can be changed to another color.

:(

But on a "good" note.. LCD technology is becomming very cheap.. it wont be long before true stereo glasses (two LCD displayed in the glasses themselves) are affordable to manufacture for the gaming market.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!