Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Semi-Newbie question

This topic is 6158 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m an aspiring game programmer with what I think is a real good idea for a killer RPG. I''m not a complete neophyte, having written a number of text based games and maintaining a mud for many years. However, I have no clue how to begin doing graphics. It appears that DirectX is the way to go, please correct me if I''m wrong. Can anyone suggest a book or website that would best be able to show me the intricies of C++ DX programming? Thank you!

For a book, I suggest Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by Andre LaMothe

http://www15.brinkster.com/nazrix/main.html

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Or you could read IronBlayde''s Game Programming Genesis articles...1 through 6 work with the Windows GDI and DX.
--

WNDCLASSEX Reality;
Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;
RegisterClassEx(&Reality);

Unable to register Reality...what''s wrong?
---------
Dan Upton
Lead Designer
WolfHeart Software

Yeah, Ironblyade follows LaMothe''s book pretty well, and has some added bonuses (plus the fact that Ironblayde''s tutorials are $50 cheaper, hehe ). Next article from Ironblayde is for a tile based engine, the previous doing bitmapped graphics w/ DirectDraw and writing a basic scripting engine. Sounds perfect for an RPG to me