• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
valla2

Designing my form like i do with dialogs?

This topic is 4574 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi In MSVC++ 6.0, you can easily design a dialog window by draging and dropping components, using the built-in resource editor. What i want to do is do the same thing with my main window ( my form ). It seems to me that i can drag and drop only when designing a dialog window, and the resource script is generated automaticcally. How can i design my main window using a resource editor? My second problem is that i haven't yet figured out how to see the content of a recource script ( *.rc ) in VC++. I can only see the form or, say the icon of my resource, but not the resource code. How can i view it in MSVC++? thanks in advance

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
You can't design a mainwindow in the resource editor. Because most apps use some kind of text area, treeview oder some stuff like this ms thought it's not needed and if you really want something like this, the only thing you need to do is to inherit your app-class from the right C*-base-class.

I don't think you can view the text of the *.rc in vc and if you're opening it with a text editor while vc is running it'll complain badly. So if you really want to edit something in there, then best shut down vc, make a backup and then do the changes and look how well it goes with vc.

Hm... that's bad..

I am using the Win32 API. Suppose i want to place a button in my main window. Are you saying that the only way to know in advance the x and y coordinates of the place i'll put it, is by placing a button ( dragin and dropin it ) in a Dialog Window in a resource editor ( ResEd works for me ) and then viewing the resource script generated and getting it's x,y position and height and width ( And then passing these values to CreateWindow )?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!