• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
all_names_taken

How make shadows?

This topic is 4638 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm not sure about all the steps required for making shadows in a game... 1. how obtain the correct silhouette for the shadow? 2. stencil buffers - what are they and where do they come into the picture? 3. do I send the shadow to a render target surface and apply it by using multi-texturing for the terrain where the shadow should appear?

Advertisement
It is worth noting that real-time shadows tend to be very difficult to get correct for ALL cases. Nearly every single algorithm has some limitations or special cases that stop it from being a completely generalised solution.

I posted links to several presentations from GDC'06 in this thread - several of them cover shadowing techniques.

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!