• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Implementing Texture Splatting

This topic is 4304 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently working on the 3D terrain for my Game and I read a great article called "Texture Splatting in Direct3D" by Nate Glasser. I am writting the app in C# Using Managed DirectX 9.0 (Oct 2005 Update).I started to implement the technique in my game, but I ran into some problems. I have a 3D Primitive object that I use to represent my terrain. I am using one file that contains a grass texture and another file that contains the alpha mask. The alpha mask is a 32-bit tga file with the alpha on the RGB and the Alpha channel. Here's what I am getting as output. The alpha texture is being rendered to the terrain and it looks like the grass texture is being ignored. Anyone have any ideas where I am going wrong. Here's my code I am adding the alpha to texture stage 0 and the texture to stage 1: this.m_dxTextures[0] = sAlpha; this.m_dxTextures[1] = sText; Then I am setting the texture stage. GrafixEnv.Device.SetTextureStageState(0, TextureStageStates.AlphaOperation, TextureOperation.SelectArg1); GrafixEnv.Device.SetTextureStageState(0, TextureStageStates.AlphaArgument1, TextureArgument.TextureColor); GrafixEnv.Device.SetTextureStageState(1, TextureStageStates.ColorOperation, TextureOperation.SelectArg1); GrafixEnv.Device.SetTextureStageState(1, TextureStageStates.ColorArgument1, TextureArgument.TextureColor); GrafixEnv.Device.SetTextureStageState(1, TextureStageStates.AlphaOperation, TextureOperation.SelectArg1); GrafixEnv.Device.SetTextureStageState(1, TextureStageStates.AlphaArgument1, TextureArgument.Current); I am also setting the following renderstates. GrafixEnv.setRenderState(RenderStates.AlphaBlendEnable, true); GrafixEnv.setRenderState(RenderStates.SourceBlend, (int)Blend.SourceAlpha); GrafixEnv.setRenderState(RenderStates.DestinationBlend, (int)Blend.InvSourceAlpha);

Advertisement
Hi,

My advice is ditch the fixed function pipeline ..unless you have a very good reason for not using a shader to do your splatting that is [smile]

If you want an example of splatting using a fragment shader (avec source) then moon-labs has one.

All the best,
ViLiO

I want to implement this using the fixed function pipeline so that I can get my app to run on as many different video devices as possible. After that I will also implement it using a pixel shader.

AFAIK, you cannot use a 4 channel texture as your alphamap using the fixed function pipeline. I believe that's why all implementations of Texture Splatting that I've encountered use 4 different textures as the alphamaps.

I'd second the recommendation to use the programmable pipeline for this kind of solution. I can't think of a better example where this would be of more use.

Hope this helps.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement