Game Menu

Started by
6 comments, last by kingsrookie 18 years ago
I was just wondering. i am new to programming in c++ but i wanted to know how to make a menu in c++. I can do it in dos but i want it to look like ut2004 menu or diablo although diablo was written in vb. What do i need to learn and get to make at least the menu in c++
Advertisement
Designing a menu like that lies more on the artistic field, programming it isn't very hard. Actually if you know how to do a menu in dos, like you said you could, then you're pretty much set for programming and doing one in gfx.

Basically what more you need to be able to do is:
Make som images for the different menu options, for example one for the menu option "active" (that is mouse arrow on it) and one for the menu option "deactivated" (no mouse arrow on it). Next draw these images on screen. Don't know how to do this? Read up on direct X, SDL or whatever API suits you best.

Then you simply check for a "collision" between the mouse pointer and the images and simply change the image, just like a rollover effect for a website.

Like I said, designing a good looking menu like this is more of an artistic thing. [smile]

[Edited by - DayZero on April 7, 2006 12:19:50 PM]
Free Classic Arcade Games by Blitzway Games
well lol i am not that ghood of an artisst and my friend will draw for me, but i am going to use direct x as my api. I am a very low level programmer, ie i just started 2 weeks ago, and am learning the hard way but the way i learn best. i need to know how to incorporate the buttons into a menu. its just like dreamweaver but i am slow plz help lol
I'm pretty sure Diablo was written in C, but that's immaterial. You need to get started with a graphics API like OpenGL, SDL or DirectX -- I personally recommend SDL but you can use whatever you want.
no it was written in vb because thats why there are bots on the game but i will start with directx api
Quote:Original post by kingsrookie
no it was written in vb because thats why there are bots on the game but i will start with directx api

That is some fascinating reasoning, but in the end I'm pretty sure it's not correct.
DayZero pretty much hit the question on the head.

Quote:Original post by Telastyn
That is some fascinating reasoning, but in the end I'm pretty sure it's not correct.

I argue that all goods sold in America are also made in America. I can't imagine the Chinese would have any argument with this!

Quote:Original post by kingsrookie

I think Diablo was made in C, and I know Diablo II was made in C++ -- various references in DLLs to .cpp at the very least suggest it's the most likely.

And the bots you're thinking of work because some fanciful fellow figured out how to embed a version of the &#106avascript engine into Diablo, allowing them to run all sorts of nifty functions. The spammer bots though are likely just a basic client that doesn't even have Diablo, just something that knows b.net's communication protocol.
oh sry for my stupid reply then
just something i heard and thought true

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement