• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Lalo

[.net] Help with RealmForge GDK

This topic is 4579 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anybody knows where I can find good RealmForge GDK tutorials? It seems that it has been replaced completely by Visual 3D Architect .NET, even its home page (realmforge.com) now redirects to visual3d.com. I downloaded RFGDK but i cant find anything helpful.

Advertisement
Realmforge is now dead. The project was put to rest as all of its original maintainers started a new project entited Visual3D (as you mentioned). Details on that project and what the original maintainers plan is available here.

This isn't a bad thing though as it means that all of its internal projects are becoming independent from the original RealmForge Framework. Things are still trying to take off, but you can find some of the libraries around:
  • Axiom - Although the library isn't up to date with OGRE, the project is slowing getting its grounds. Interest is consistantly growing.
  • CeGui# - Development on this has stalled for a while to allow Axiom to catch up. Once Axiom is caught up, the new version of CEGUI should be out and I'm sure development on CeGui# will continue.
What this means that you won't have to use RealmForge to be able to use Axiom, or CeGui# or any of the other dependant library. Development has shifted over to these new libraries and hopefully things will slowly come back together.

Moved to the .NET forum, might get a better response there [wink].

I have to say that Axiom is really a good project. Too bad, that the makers have kinda lost interest in developing it? There still isn't a binary release yet (which means you have to build the dlls and stuff yourself, which I did, it's not too hard but still defines how usable the project is, currently) and there isn't any up to date documentation. I can't build my own app with it! I fooled around like 8 hours (including the build) and still wasn't able to build a project. I wish they would AT LEAST document the current "version" better so it's useful.

I went back to Ogre3D (C++).

[it sounds like i'm kicking axioms' ass but i don't mean it that way. i really hope this project can kick my ass someday. [grin]]

If you want Axiom to get rolling (of course you do), register on the forum and make some posts. Hopefully the maintainers will take a hint and get everything up to the latest Ogre [wink].

Although this is getting pretty offtopic (well actually, it can be considered ontopic too..), I want to correct myself. There seems to be more activity than I suspected and they're working on a prebuilt release? You can see for yourself in the forum in my post (my nick: Lick) ["How to build Axiom with MDX2.0"]. I hope they manage to improve the documentation too.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!