• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How to run EmptyProject without DirectX SDK

This topic is 4426 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I write simple Direct3d application based on EmptyProject from SDK. When i try to run my application on computer without sdk installed on, I get error: "microsoft directx sdk sample has encountered a problem and needs to close". Is it possible to run this application without installing sdk?

Advertisement
Yes, it should be possible to run it without the SDK.

At a guess it's because you've not included (and installed) the runtime with your application. Any of the recent SDK's rely on the D3DX DLL's to be present - d3dx9_28.dll for example. Most normal applications will bail with a nasty Windows error saying it can't find the DLL, but DXUT uses late binding so it should give you a more friendly error message...

Try installing the appropriate runtime on your target machine.

hth
Jack

The web installer will ensure you have the core DirectX files and all optional files (D3DXnn.dll and Managed assemblies) from Summer 04 onwards (might even be earlier than summer 04). If your app still doesn't run after the web installer then its one of several things:

1. Missing art or some other app specific support file (use filemon from http://www.sysinternals.com to find out what and where it is looking)
2. You need the managed assemblies and you ran the web installer before you installed the .Net framework (web installer won't install MDX unless .Net is already there). Soln rerun web installer after you installed .Net
3. You are missing .Net
4. You built against the beta of MDX 2.0 - this is in beta so the only redist right now is to install the SDK
5. I understand that VC++ 2005 has a new C++ runtime so you may need to get that on the machine. (I remember reading this but I didn't save the reference so I'd love someone to confirm this for me)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!