• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

what does this mean?

This topic is 4399 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I put out an ad in my local college paper looking to hire a Java programmer for a short-term period over the summer (contract position). I am embarassed to admit this, but one of the applicants wrote something on his resume that I just don't flat out get:
...makes heavy use of many Java data structures, recursion, reflection, tokenizing and XML document generation [/QUOTE] I scoured the Java docs for "XML document generation..." how the heck can a Java program generate XML documents -- what does it mean to do that??

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by hisDudeness

...makes heavy use of many Java data structures, recursion, reflection, tokenizing and XML document generation
[/QUOTE]

Read: Writes intentionally complex and 'clever' in order to make myself feel 1337 when no one else can understand wtf I wrote.

No, no, no, it's easy. It's called self-commenting code and it's present in C# and .NET as well. That's why you see a description of any C# function.

Basically, it looks something like this:

<summary>
This function calculates two integers
</summary>
int Calculate(int a, int b)
{
return a + b;
}

so when you see a Calculate function, it will have a "This function calculates..." in its description.

Furthermore, if used all over the code, you can basically compile a manual out of that akin that of .NET Documentation.

Quote:
Original post by hisDudeness
how the heck can a Java program generate XML documents -- what does it mean to do that??

Well, in fact Java could generate XML documents as any other programming language can do.

Of course, this is a banal example, but it is an XML document generator:

public class BanalXMLDocumentGenerator
extends Object {

public static void main(String[] args) {
System.out.println("<?xml version=\"1.0\"?>");
System.out.println("<aTopLevelTagName />");
}

}

In other words, I would not be impressed of such a skill. If anything is of interest then at least the fact that s/he hints at having knowledge of basic XML structuring and syntax.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement