Portfolio Review, Please!?

Started by
1 comment, last by redlion 23 years, 2 months ago
Hi everyone, I am an aspiring game music composer. I''m already writing commercial music for multimedia (web pages, videos, etc) but would really like to specialize in games. I would love for my portfolio to be reviewed by readers of GameDev.net--as I have no video game industry experience, I can only guess at what people want to hear for a demo. Please help me out by giving me honest reviews of my music, available at www.n-heptane.com/demo.htm. And I mean honest. Tell me your real opinions, and be specific! For example, try to tell me exactly what you do and do not like about the music, if there''s something you''d like to hear that I left out, etc. You can either e-mail me directly at redlion@n-heptane.com, or post it here, I don''t care which. This will help me a lot, so thanks very much! redlion
Advertisement
I really like your stuff. 2 comments:

1. The songs seem to take a little while to develop, you might want to work on some where the thrust of the song is immediately evident. Some scenes require it, some don''t.

2. Even though it takes 40-80 hours to beat a game, there is usually only an hour or so of music in a game, so a lot of music gets looped over and over. Try developing something that sounds good and would really grab the player without grating on the ears after they''ve been listening to it looping for the past half hour.

I really enjoyed what you have layed out though, I don''t think you''ll have a hard time finding some work.
Dolamite,
Yeah, I was wondering about that--most of my songs are SONGS; they have a beginning, middle, and end, and would probably drive people nuts if they were looped. I''ll try writing something with less of a definite structure and looser orchestration and see if that works. Thanks for your comments!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement