Windows Programming

Started by
14 comments, last by yadango 18 years ago
What is the best way to learn windows programming? Is it MFC or something else. I really haven't been able to find anything concrete on the web about different methods, just that there are different methods. What is a good compiler for doing these windows application in? Someone earlier mentioned "Visual C++ Express Edition", but after playing with it I realized it doesn't support MFC. What other ways can I create windows programs? Does anyone know of any good tutorials? Thanks James
James HammondUniversity of ColoradoDepartment of Computer Science
Advertisement
I'd advise staying away from MFC. I've used it a little bit, and it's nothing particularly special. Although it's handy for getting simple applications up and running really fast.

I'd just stick to plain old Win32 functions (E.g. CreateWindowEx, etc.) The MSDN is a good place for reference, but there are better sites around for tutorials (Although I don't know of any offhand).
Stay away from MFC; it's pretty much dead. You'll want to use either the Widnows API or the .Net Framework, both of which are supported by the Express Editions
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Go to the bookstore, find the Windows programming section, find a book by a guy named Petzold called Programming Windows or something similiar, buy it, study it, do some programming, voila - you're an expert.
-Mike
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
Stay away from MFC; it's pretty much dead. You'll want to use either the Widnows API or the .Net Framework, both of which are supported by the Express Editions

The Windows API is supported after you download and install the Platform SDK. Without that, you just get lots of errors and head scratching.
if your goal is to learn to make windows apps, why are you using C++?

in the real world these days GUI apps are typically made with .NET and other high level platforms....... do yourself a favor and use .NET w/ WinForms or Java or something if you want to learn app. programming.

PS please dont crap your pants on me, it is true though, id say if you searched on a job site that you would find like a 10:1 ratio of .NET / Java jobs compared to C++ windows apps..... the financial industry alone would go broke if we were stuck writing C++ windows apps [lol]
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Quote:Original post by Anon Mike
Go to the bookstore, find the Windows programming section, find a book by a guy named Petzold called Programming Windows or something similiar, buy it, study it, do some programming, voila - you're an expert.

Ditto. Well, not complete ditto. Petzold's book won't make you an expert, but it's certainly the place to start for Win32 api programming.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
I'm with the group that says stay away from MFC, all it really is is just a big wrapper for WinAPI. WinAPI isn't all that hard.

The best compiler would be Microsoft Visual C++.

Alot of people have recommended Programming Windows by Charles Petzold. I have not read this but its on my list of books to pick up.

You can check out.
"Castles made of sand, fall into the see, eventually" -Jimi Hendrix3D Buzz
While I agree with you guys when you say that the MFC are nearly dead (but not dead: VS8 contains a new version of the MFC, and it is still widely used in the software industry, so I guess that MS don't consider the MFC as a dead product), but you have to agree that creating complex application with modern UI using only the Win32 API is a pure nightmare.

Learning Win32 API is one thing. Using it is like programming a game in pure ASM. Awfull, slow, and counter-productive.

No. Contrary to you, I'd suggest Hammonjj to try to use either the MFC or wxWidgets (very similar) if he wants to program in straight C++, or to give a try to .net (using either Managed C++ or C#, with a preference for C#) if don't have to stick to C++.

Regards,
Petzolds book is good. It is painful writing a large application using just the Win32 API though. If you really want to become an expert using Win32 I'd recommend "Advanced Windows" by Jeff Richter after reading Petzold.
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement