• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
darkcloud99

Connecting GC to PC

This topic is 4570 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello , i have a gamecube but unfortunately cannot use the controller anymore due to my disablity. I mainly use virtual keyboards on my media center pc to play gba and n64 emulators. Obviously impossible for gc yet. So, since i have video and audio in on my pc, i can easily get the picture and sound. But i still cann't control the gc. If somone made a GC to USB cable for the controller port, i could connect it to my pc as well. There are many adapters like this, but not exactly GC IN-----ADAPTER-----USB IN. Now....the software. All in need is program that displays the buttons on the controller which i can drag around anywhere in the window. Also a little text tab that instantly works when any letter is typed(for voice programs). If the program/cable worked together , could this actually work to control the gc ? i can only use onscreen keyboards and voice programs on a pc, thats why i would need a kind of "onscreen controller" software that has draggable buttons so i can customize it. Also a virtual analog stick, that once held down by left mouse button, would move around like a real one. Along with a text box that can instantly act as a button when a letter/number is typed into it.(this is where i would use voice programs) Keys could be mapped like many emulators do now. Nothing fancy, just a program that has the above features. This would have to work with the GC to USB cable/adapter i described earlier. The signal would be like this: PC(running software)<---USB cable/adapter--->GC controller port The cable/adapter needs to be something like this http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...ducts_id=3208& except USB instead of PS/2 connection. I know this can work......for any console..... This could help many ppl.....any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Advertisement
I don't know if one exists.

It wouldn't be too hard for somebody skilled with microcontrollers to make a PC to GameCube adapter with the PC interface you described. Probably the hardest part would be finding a way to make the analog controls work to your satisfaction on the PC.

You might be better off asking this in on an EE message board. You might even want to contact your local University. I can imagine a professor would love the project since it could easily become a publishable paper.

Are there students on the board looking for a good publication or thesis topic? Here it is: Video game controllers for the physically disabled. [wink]

On the plus side, that's something N has been trying to consider with their Revolution controller.

Thx for the reply!

I knew it was possible.....the hard part is finding someone who can do it. Any idea where i should go to find people who can do this? Should i also post this thread in the Help Wanted section of the forums? By the way, what does EE stand for?

thx again

It would be great to play a console again lol

[Edited by - darkcloud99 on April 7, 2006 7:32:18 PM]

EE = [ Electrical or Electronics ] Engineer. Basically it's the hardware guys.

Google says McMaster University is the closest to you. After looking through the departments, I think the person you should get in touch with is Martin Mohrenschildt, Phone: (905) 525-9140 ex. 23844.

His lab works on microelectronics for controlling computers and other devices.

I am pretty sure his lab would be one of the better fits for this type of project.

The department recently started offering features in video game design and development. Since Dr. Mohrenschildt also happens to be the department chair, he will know which professors and students are looking for projects like this.

Here is how I would proceed:

I would call him and explain that you have a recent disability, and are interested in working with a student in developing a [don't use video game quite yet] new kind of controller that plugs in to the computer to help the disabled. Explain that the controller has both analog and digital components and is fairly simple and well documented, but there aren't any controllers out there for the disabled.

Tell him that you have talked with other published experts and they think it could easily be a publishable paper for a graduate student, but that you just need somebody local to work with. That should get him very interested.

Ask him of students looking for that kind of project, or if another professor would be interested.

Once there is some interest (probably several minutes in to the phone call) mention that it is a video game controller for a disabled person and that the paper could probably be published in a game development conference.

It should then just be a matter of coordinating people rather than finding people. Good luck.

Unfortunately, university just ended this month. I posted this in the help wanted section. We'll see what happens after that. Thank you again.

Quote:
Original post by darkcloud99
Unfortunately, university just ended this month.

That's probably the best time to contact the professors.

They don't have the burdens of teaching class, and they are actively looking for projects that next year's students can work on. They want to find good, easy projects so their incoming grad students can get a paper published quickly.

Keep calling the person and the department until you get an answer.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!