Can you recommend me a few good c++ books

Started by
9 comments, last by Drew_Benton 18 years ago
Hi. i am kinda new to this site. I would love to start programming but i dont know which book(s) i should get. I want to start game programming and i know that it will be long and hard but i think it will be a great learning expierence. so could yall be so kind and recommend me some good book(s) for beginners. Thank you in advance.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by alexmullins
Hi. i am kinda new to this site. I would love to start programming but i dont know which book(s) i should get. I want to start game programming and i know that it will be long and hard but i think it will be a great learning expierence. so could yall be so kind and recommend me some good book(s) for beginners.

Thank you in advance.

Extremely Good. (Linky.)

Goes from nothing to polymorphism and inheritance.
The absolute best book I have read for programming C++ was the GameInstitute textbook (www.gameinstitute.com). There are two C++ courses there. The first course goes over the fundamentals of C++, the second continues on and teaches you Windows programming and how to make 2D games with animation etc. They are 125$ each and you get their textbook, voiced over lectures covering all the material, and forum access to talk directly with the instructors and ask questions.

If I absolutely had to recommend another book I would say go for Beginning C++ Programming. For a beginner it's probably the next best thing although I think it could of been written alot better. I know alot of people will come here and recommend it to you though. EDIT: Yep someone already did.

I have read C++ Primer, Object Oriented Programming in C++, C++ Primer plus, The C++ programming language. All of them I think are too large for a beginner to have the desire to go through. They are all humongous books that cover everything in detail, which might be better for when you finish a book like Beginning C++ Game Programming which is simple but should give you a basic outlook on the whole C++ deal. The Game Institute textbook is the BEST since I think written the best, covers everything a beginner book would, plus enough of what the other books would. Not to mention the other benefits like lectures/slides and the instructors who will answer your questions and clear things up as you are learning. Figure for a little extra money with the GameInstitute versus a regular book will get you the best and lots of other benefits.
Game Institute student for life.
Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel is one of the better C++ books I've read. Plus, the downloaded version is free... :-)

http://mindview.net/Books/DownloadSites

Once you know how to program a bit, check out "The C++ Programming Language Special Edition". Awsome book, and tells you a great deal about the language.
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
If you want a free download, try How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: C++ version although I recommend the Python version to an absulute beginner over the C++ version so you can get familiar with proper code-structure first.
C++ is not a very good choice for your first language. I would recommend starting with something simpler (like C), or something easier to work with (like Python).
Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days.
It is a great book.
None of the contents is useless.
You should not miss any information listed in that book.
and it's free too.
http://newdata.box.sk/bx/c/index.htm
I've been learning C++ from the ground up, with minor experience in vb6.0 and a few weeks of learning C#. I picked up C++ Primer Plus 4th edition. From the standpoint of someone with very limited experience it's been a decent book. I understand the majority of what the author (Stephen Prata) is trying to convey and he takes a very fundamental approach. The guy is to the point and he focuses in on the basics of C++. From basic i/o stream functions such as cout and cin to object oriented theory. This book does not cover game development, MFC, ATL, or any major SDK, but if you're learning C++ such as myself those are all topics that deserve their own focus.

The thing that I've enjoyed the most is he doesn't leave anything to "guessing", he writes his source from #using, to return 0; and explains every step along the way. While this is the first book I've picked up, and others probably have a broader view point, I can only express mine as someone who is starting anew. Best of luck finding the tools you need to succeed.
Don't look further than Accelerated C++. It's an amazing book. Why?

Because unlike all other books, it teaches you what you want to know: how to program. Other books simply walk you through the syntax without teaching you anything. You know what a for loop is, but you have no idea how to use it.

Accelerated C++ actually teaches you to solve problems, to USE the language. It's an amazing book.

100% recommended.

If not, Beginning C++ Game Programming is quite good.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement