• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
brwarner

New to C++

This topic is 4513 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am used to VB and C# but am thinking of moving on to C++. I read one book by Sams - Learn C++ in 21 days. All it covered thoungh was Console Apps and Array, Pointers, ect. Anyone know where I can get tutorials on things like using Windows and Forms and more complicated things??

Advertisement
Hey mate,

Your best bet is to google for phrases like:

WIN32 API Introduction
WIN32 Tutorials

You may also want to look into using wxWidgets for making WIN32 GUI apps ncie and easily. Just search for these phrases.

Hope that helps,

Dave

KK...

The BEST book for the Windows API, which nicely moves you off console applications, to window driven ones, is in my humble opinion:

Programming Windows - By Charles Petzold

This book is HUGE (nearly 1500 pages in my old 5th edition copy), but its easy to read style takes you from the pure basics, like a "Hello World" application using a simple message box, right through to complex multi-documented, multi-tasking, DLL driven ones.

And it covers virtually everything of major importance in the Win32 API.

Believe me, you can't go wrong with this book! [cool]

For WinForms you need to use C++.Net which will be similar to C# in many ways. This is Microsoft's .Net'ified version of C++.

With plain C++ you need to use something else, such as the raw Win32 API, MFC, or the ATL to create windowed programs. There are other widget kits available, such as WxWidgets.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!