• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Free UI's for D3D9?

This topic is 4337 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking for a tool that creates high-level user interfaces that get rendered ontop of D3D. I googled and found CEGUI (http://www.cegui.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Main_Page) but I'm having trouble getting it to work with my C++/VS05 project. The tutorials weren't that helpful, so I'm greatly interested in finding other similar UI tools. I know DirectX has a CustomUI, so maybe if you know any good tutorials for that, I'd like to look into that. All I need is a basic chatroom (two textfields, one button). Thanks in advanced. [Edited by - nullsmind on April 7, 2006 8:02:40 PM]

Advertisement
Yea, it seems that the two popular ones are CEGUI and the DXSDK one. I couldn't get CEGUI to work either, and didn't want to use the DXSDK one for a few reasons, so I just wrote my own. However, on a smaller scale, the DXSDK one is very easy to use, and it has a lot of good-looking controls. Just check out the CustomUI sample - that shows you how to use every part of it, pretty much.

I tried the DXUT gui and it was very easy to use, although I had to convert DXUT to multi-byte. It has some major rendering inefficiencies though, you will want to go in and cut down on the unneccessary state changes.

While looking at the Custom UI source code, I'm guessing the Custom UI just works for GLUX, not the Win32 API? Anyway, I'm understanding the CustomUI with managed code, so I'll just go with that. Thanks.

[Edited by - nullsmind on April 8, 2006 12:19:06 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement