Looking for help and/or advice

Started by
12 comments, last by TheMeatMan 18 years ago
I thinking of turning a story I'm still writing into a game idea, but i dont really have any ideas on what to cut out and what to keep. I did write the first act of a script for a game, but I'm not sure if that is the right way to go with this. My story is set in a medievil type of setting, there is slight magic but not to the point where it is used by every other character (actually only one character does). There is gore, and it gets quit dark in some parts but not where the reader wants to kill him/her self. If you want to look at the story just message me, and i'll give you a link. Any one with help, or advice, i would greatly appreciate it. Many thanks in advance - Kyokai [Edited by - kyokai on April 7, 2006 9:54:18 PM]
Advertisement
Well, what kind of game is it, how many playable characters and what does the player do with the characters?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

well, it would mostly be a mix of RPG and Action. For now since I'm working on chapter eight of the story there would be one playable character, but in one part you would controll one other character. The player would play through the story line, but in different parts the player would have to decide what to do bringing up the players morality.
Okay 1 playable character (we'll ignore the other minor one for now). Does this character have a gender, name, and personality that are predetermined and essential to the story, or is the playable character an avatar that the player customizes? You mention morality, does the plater determine the playable character's whole personality, or only make a few key choices?

Also, can you explain how the RPG and action elements combine? RPGs and action games handle story in very different ways, so this is very important to deciding what story should go into your game and how you should present it.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

The main playable character's name is Yugin, and he's 21, and the player cant change much about him. Well for the mixing of RPG and Action you wont be-able to buy new weapons and armor and stuff, but you can level up and through leveling up your weapon gets stronger as does your armor and your health would go up, along with other stats. The action part is mainly because there are only like 3 parts where you can rest.

For the morality there will be many parts of the game where you can choose what to do, like when you get to this one city you can either tell the mayor about whats going on (a big army is after you) or you can stop at the city for a little while then leave again.

For the most part the main character was a cold hearted killer untill he saved a little girl. But now he has taken on a fatherly type of role to the little girl.
Okay, so the plot is mostly linear, right? Mostly the same things will happen with only small differences when the character makes a choice? If that's correct, I recommend the first thing you do is create a linear outline of your story.

It's mostly linear, but in two parts the story line will vary greatly, and thanks for the help/advice.
this idea sounds pretty good -- i would suggest trying to detract more from the usual run-of-the-mill RPGs (is that actually possible nowadays?). I could help you more here if you have some kind of story or plot. Is there some kind of conspiracy going on? some secret brotherhood out to get the main player?
You're looking at a wanna-be right now :P
Quote:Original post by destron
Is there some kind of conspiracy going on? some secret brotherhood out to get the main player?

Well, throught the land where the story takes place each city has there own guild which in turn are hired out to do different jobs for the city, or they can be hired by the citizens to perform assasinations. The guild from the main city is after the main character, and out to take over the world with the dead.
sounds good. but here are a few questions that need to be answered - how will they go after the player? will they try to beat him up in dark alleys? try to assassinate him while he sleeps? what can the player do to fight them off? how will he ultimately stop them?
You're looking at a wanna-be right now :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement