• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
necrophilissimo

Backwards compatibility of DirectX 10 - How far will it go?

This topic is 4882 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

DirectX 10 sounds absolutely fantastic, I can hardly wait. My only concern is how backwards compatible it is in the end? I'm currently creating a small, fast-paced action game and I was planning to make it work with everything from 98 to Vista, but if DX10's structure is so revolutionary as Microsoft claims, I fear DX10 will be at least as bad backwards compatibility trasher as XP was (at first)...

Advertisement
Vista supports DX10 and DX9.L, an enhanced DX9 for longhorn. I imagine they will attempt BC of all DX versions, and since so many apps running on Vista early on will still be DX8 or 9 apps, I imagine the support will be fairly good.

I think even D3D9L is an incorrect name these days - the 'L' was for Longhorn, and apparently just an internal name used by MS. If you look at the MSDN documentation it's referred to as "Direct3D9Ex" or D3D9Ex...

Anyway...

My understanding is that theres a fair bit of behind the scenes trickery when it comes to backwards compatability. Even now, all pre-DX7 get re-routed/translated into DX7. Thus the IHV's only have to write drivers to support (currently) 7, 8 and 9. Same with Vista - anything pre-DX9 will get translated and the IHV's will only need to support 9 and 10.

Whether it all works smoothly or not I don't know [smile]

hth
Jack

The official name for D3D9L is now “DirectX graphics for Windows Vista” or in short form D3D9EX.

But to come back to the original question. There will be no backward compatibility in D3D10. It will only work on Windows Vista and you need a new GPU that is compatible. None of the graphic cards you can currently buy will do it.

There isn't much hard information as to what will happen to other members of the DirectX family. Certainly no information (yet!) that would indicate anything bad is going to be happening as far as backwards compatability.

It's been mentioned that DirectInput might be deprecated and moved to the PlatformSDK, and Windows Vista has an all new audio stack so there are bound to be some changes in DirectSound.

hth
Jack

Soon, DSound is being replaced with XACT and DInput is being replaced with XInput. Microsoft plans on keeping DSound/DInput available still for a while since there's a lot of programs out there that still uses it.

Quote:
Original post by nullsmind
Soon, DSound is being replaced with XACT and DInput is being replaced with XInput. Microsoft plans on keeping DSound/DInput available still for a while since there's a lot of programs out there that still uses it.

They can’t kill the support for all the software out there but I believe that these components will be removed from the DirectX SDK in the near future.

Jack, I don’t think that Microsoft will change the DirectSound API for Vista. The will need a new runtime that use one of the new Vista Sound APIs. If you need more control you have to mess around with this 3 APIs on your own.

Quote:
Original post by Demirug
Jack, I don’t think that Microsoft will change the DirectSound API for Vista. The will need a new runtime that use one of the new Vista Sound APIs. If you need more control you have to mess around with this 3 APIs on your own.
Good point... I just remember reading something on DirectXDev about Creative's (?) Developer Relations people recommending that people use OpenAL rather than DSound in Vista due to hardware acceleration (or something similar)... Kinda figured that there must be something suitably important changing [smile]

Cheers,
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!