Was my computer attacked?

Started by
34 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 18 years ago
Quote:Original post by The C modest god
Then Opera it shall be...
Is there any other web browser you want me to try today?

By the way, opera isnt as smart as firefox.
Firefox has imported all the cookies and stuff I had from explorer and operea didnt even change the running application for my .html files so when I press .html files it still uses firefox.

So you're complaining it didn't do a SINGLE LITTLE STEP for you? It takes two seconds to do most of that. Its practically a two click step.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Advertisement
Whatever you feel most comfortable with. The key is to update your browser whenever possible. Personally I just use Firefox for the tabs and may switch to IE 7 if I like it. Opera has a lot of neat features and it's not as widespread so that may be what you are looking for. If you really want to browse in safety, use lynx. [wink]
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-----I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.
Then Opera it shall be...
Is there any other web browser you want me to try today?

By the way, opera isnt as smart as firefox.
Firefox has imported all the cookies and stuff I had from explorer and operea didnt even change the running application for my .html files so when I press .html files it still uses firefox.

You can import all of your favorites from IE (File|Import and export|Import Internet Explorer Favorites). Also, I'm fairly certain that when you open Opera, if it is not already your default browser, it will ask if you want it to be your default browser. If not, just change the file settings on .html and .htm files to open with Opera.
just clear your icon cache and dont install any freaking browser too fix such a small problem, really...
howto clear the icon cache? well i have no idea howto do it without the help of a tool like tortoisecvs that give you an option "renew symbols".

T2k
So what browser you suggest if not firefox or IE or opera?

It's really up to you. I really like Opera, and it is a better browser than Firefox or IE. Of course, Firefox is a lot more extendable with their whole XUL thing. On the other hand, the only Firefox extension I used was adblock, and Opera has that built in now (in the Opera 9 betas). The Opera content blocking has a better interface too :P

But use what you like. Don't listen to other people's opinions too much, form your own by using Firefox and Opera for a few days to see how you really like them.
Try ELinks! [smile]

I use Firefox, Opera and IE (I'm a member of Spread Internet Explorer, too), and sometimes lynx and ELinks. Browser fanboyism is about as bad as console fanboyism, if you ask me [wink]

To delete your icon cache, go to Start -> Run: "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data", and when the file manager opens, delete iconcache.db. Or you can change to Large Icons and back.
Quote:Original post by MrEvil
Try ELinks! [smile]

I use Firefox, Opera and IE (I'm a member of Spread Internet Explorer, too), and sometimes lynx and ELinks. Browser fanboyism is about as bad as console fanboyism, if you ask me [wink]

To delete your icon cache, go to Start -> Run: "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data", and when the file manager opens, delete iconcache.db. Or you can change to Large Icons and back.

I still use IE just because the majority of (outspoken) Firefox users irritate me. It's my subtle way of trolling nerds.

Oh, and yes, you were hacked. Install linux.
[size=2]
Man, you guys go spastic at everything.

More likely than not, it's damage to the Windows icon cache, which can happen for any number of reasons. Fire up TweakUI, go to Repair, select Rebuild Icons, and hit Repair Now. That will reconstruct the icon cache from scratch and should fix the problem.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Liquid Darkness

Firefox is great but not any more secure than IE or Opera. Basicly you want to avoid the more popular browsers because they are larger targets for attackers. I didnt care for opera too much but I imagine there are less known vulnerabilities than the other two.

Im pretty sure IE's problems with unpached buffer overflows and buggy activeX support are more than just becouse of its popularity

I use Lynx for all my browsing needs!
It only takes one mistake to wake up dead the next morning.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement