Mr. Gamemaker BSP Tut's

Started by
38 comments, last by Verminaard 23 years, 2 months ago
Its his good right to remove the tutorials.
He doesn't owe anyone anything.

I think its a brilliant idea to write a book about BSP/PVS (if thats really the plan). I will be the first in the line to buy it, thats for sure. There is just way too little documentation on this material and it might even give Gary some financial freedom, thus allowing him to write even more tutorials/books

GO GARY!

PS: Mr Anonymous who wrote the 'poo' messages: get a life.

[edit]
Hmmmmm, he really is working on a book: http://pub46.ezboard.com/fmrgamemakerfrm0.showMessage?topicID=302.topic

Either that, or something in the tutorials is a patent infringement
[/edit]

Edited by - Countach on February 6, 2001 4:15:58 AM
-------homepage - email
Advertisement
So what? The guy wants to make some money from all the hard work he put into
his tutorials. If I was offered a good amount of cash for my work, I do the
same thing.
Of course I would by the book.
-------------I am a Juggalo.
Well, it says on the site the tutorials are down only temporarily, so presumably they will be back at some point. There''s only one person who can answer this question though.

The theory behind BSPs is available everywhere on the net and in books, isn''t it better to work it out yourself rather than cut and paste someone elses code?

Heh, it''s not BSP''s... but LEAFY BSP TREES... heck, node-based trees are everywhere, but they cannot be used to generate PVS, and PVS is the *whole* point why we''re doing all this in the first place!

- code
Ah, I see. I'd never seen the site 'till someone mentioned it here, so I didn't know. To be honest I don't know the difference anyway

Edited by - simon_brown75 on February 6, 2001 1:12:12 PM
Ok, nevermind my message then, as he said it was for legal reasons on that other board.
Oh, and I just said taking them away without telling why is bad, not, for example, taking them down and telling people that they''d be available in a book soon. And if it is the book''s publisher or somebody keeping you from leaving them on the page and telling what''s going on, then just ignore everything I''ve said in this thread^^

-Deku-chan

DK Art (my site, which has little programming-related stuff on it, but you should go anyway^_^)
quote:Original post by SomeCodeGuy

Heh, it''s not BSP''s... but LEAFY BSP TREES... heck, node-based trees are everywhere, but they cannot be used to generate PVS, and PVS is the *whole* point why we''re doing all this in the first place!

Yes, but you can glean all the info on leafy BSP trees from Abrash''s articles during the development of Quake.

You might be able to glean some of the PVS stuff from vis (id source code), but grokking an algorithm from sparsely documented code is a little rough.

PVS just involves taking convex areas of space (i.e., the leafs on a solid space BSP) and determining what leaves are visible from any point in that leaf, and caching that info somewhere. Hence, the PVS. Calculating that is a pain in the ass though.

MSN
Tutorials are for losers.
Allright, in that case: I LOVE BEING A LOOSER. Tutorials are heaven and I would have quit programming years ago if they didn''t exist. It were the Peroxide and Asphyxia tutorials that got me going in the beginning of time (the good ol'' Dos days).

Nowadays I just spend a huge amount of cash on good books (Advanced 3D game programming Using DirectX 7.0 is the most expensive piece of tree I ever invested in) but that could have been avoided if there were more good tutorials around like those that Gary wrote.

Keep up the good work!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement