virtual development

Started by
4 comments, last by Gaiiden 23 years, 2 months ago
I''m thinking of starting a virtual development team - how hard is it to keep the project on track when a lot of your team members are all over the place? I mean there''s email and online chat but isn''t that a pain to keep everyone up to date and everything when you all have conflicting schedules and can''t meet online a lot? ============================== "Need more eeenput..." - #5, "Short Circuit" Blade Edge Software ==============================

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Advertisement
Hi,
I haven''t posted here in a while, but this message caught my eye. pcgamesforyou.com will be offering the exact services you will need to start and manage a virtual development team. Check out some mroe info about it here:
http://pub34.ezboard.com/findiegamepublishingfrm1.showMessage?topicID=7.topic

Our website should be up in the next one or two weeks. I''ll keep you posted if you''d like.
--------------------Help Needed!Turn-based 20th century strategy wargameTitle still to be determined
quote:Original post by Gaiiden

how hard is it to keep the project on track

Keeping a project on track is _always_ hard. The physical location of your team members will only give you _different_ obstacles, the total amount of work will remain the same. Virtual teams make it easier to keep track of _why_ a decision was made (cuz the discussion is available in the email records), which in turn makes it easier to keep true to the original goals (cuz they''re in writing :-)

I''ve worked on teams that were fully virtual, and others that were mixed. In all cases it didn''t make any difference where people were, what mattered is how professional they were.

Mike :-)

He who made kittens put snakes in the grass -- Jethro Tull
With emails and ICQ it's enough, I don't think it would make any huge difference with people being in the same place, as long as they all really care emails and ICQ will be enough, if there's enough enthusiasm a tiny obstacle like that will not be important, there are many much worse obstacle to come

Edited by - DavidRM on February 2, 2001 12:11:19 PM
There is a big article at gamedev about virtual development.
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/business/features/virtual/

Edited by - spikey on February 2, 2001 1:33:17 AM
I checked out pcgamesforyou.com - looks cool. anyone else tried it or has it not yet started yet? Anyone thinking of trying it?

==============================
"Need more eeenput..."
- #5, "Short Circuit"
Blade Edge Software
==============================

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement