Kilix is out, well almost

Started by
8 comments, last by Gunner 23 years, 2 months ago
I''ve just read the news on Turbo''s main page and that''s great news indeed. I''m wondering how easy it will be to port OpenGL to Kilix? I guess it''s time for me to make a Linux partition and find out what''s going on over there I know doing the port for win32 was fairely simple but Linux, that''s totally new to me.. Still... can''t wait to try it out. Anyone else excited about this ? Gunner.
Advertisement
hmm... I know Linux isn''t Unix, but I''ve got too many bad Unix experiences to get really excited...

But if Linux has a chance to take over Windows as an end-user interface, it is Kylix... but I fear Kylix developpers will have to fight with the constant incompatibilities between UI versions, drivers and other kernel messups.
With Kylix, you not only have to support GeForce, Voodoo or whatever, but also KDE 1.2.3.4, KDE 1.2.3.5, GNOME 1.2.34, Kernel revision 1.2.3.4...
If it works on your Linux, then it may not work on someone else''s untill he recompiles the Kernel with the new revision - but he doesn''t want to because it could break it''s hardware drivers that don''t have the new conditionnals in their 231 kB makefile...

---
Eric Grange
http://glscene.org
---Eric Grangehttp://glscene.org
Linux is too fragmented to be a mainstream OS. I''m probably welcoming flames here, but I want to see Mac OS X win over both Windows and Linux.
quote:Original post by merlin9x9

Linux is too fragmented to be a mainstream OS. I'm probably welcoming flames here, but I want to see Mac OS X win over both Windows and Linux.

I've got one word that says it all.

BeOS

B e S
It's Da BOMB Baby!!!
. o O ~
A little nonsense now and then,
is relished by the wisest men
~ O o .
-- Willy Wonka

Edited by - wrenhal on February 1, 2001 2:02:52 PM
BeSIt's Da BOMB Baby!!!. o O ~ A little nonsense now and then,is relished by the wisest men~ O o .-- Willy Wonka
i didn''t know Linux was that picky.
I was looking at it for the exact opposite reason, i was saying to myslef, great ! a robust platform compatible across the board.

Yeah, Mac OSX on X86 would be neat indeed.
btw, OSX is just a shell with addons on top of BSD, should be easy for them to port. we''ll see

as for Beos, i love that OS as well, soo simple and easy to use.
I have it as a sortof windows recovery OS.
When my win98 self destructs ( as it always does after six months or so), i use BeOS to give me net connectivity until i have windows re-installed.

We''ll have to see how things go on the Linux side, i''ve pre-ordered Kilix ( the cheapo version for now) and let you guys know how it is.

Stay tuned.

Gunner.
I''ve tried Linux (RedHat) a number of times and have always had "fun" trying to get XFree86 to run. Once it''s running (by fiddling in arcane text files hidden away in obscurely named directories), I''ve had to deal with window managers that have no consistent way of doing things. The better window managers also take up a whole load of resources with all their pretty graphics.

Next comes versions. Eric Grange''s comments mirror my sentiments exactly when it comes to this. It is the bane of any Linux user''s life.

Hardware support is very slow to become available. Don''t expect to use newer video cards for a while.

Each time has resulted in the removal of the Linux partition and never had any regrets for doing so. I will let other people do the Linux development. I''m staying with Windows. It does not crash on a regular basis (quite rare actually). It does not require a reinstall every six months. Maybe I just have a very stable PC. Maybe I''m just lucky, but Windows horror stories don''t happen to everyone.

Steve ''Sly'' Williams  Code Monkey  Krome Studios
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
When i don''t muck around installing/de-installing/reinstalling, trying out betas.. etc, windows is rock solid here as well.
It''s after a couple of months of the above that things start to get iffy

It''s pretty scary when you install a program that is only 3 years old and that program breaks your OS.
From the top of my head: Diablo1, DarkReign 1, WordPerfect 8 for windows.
those will all overwrite system files with older ones. been there and suffered for it. lol

I guess i''m complaining on a full stomac, overall windows has been good to me.

Gunner.

I probably will be flamed lots with this - But i still prefer Windows.

I know Win - buggy, monopolistic os ... [] lots o'' same crap
But ppl use it, and ppl choose it. Thats the point - its easy to install and use os.
Well so far lots of negative stuff over Linux. But linu xis a doddle, lots of fun, stable and overall it gives me back that "computers are cool" feeling that used to have with 8 bit computers. Linux is very powerful and is getting better all the time. However, having said that I have quite a bit of hardware that isn''t supported and I don''t have software alternatives for all the apps I use in windows 2000 so I don''t use Linux for everyday use.

I mainly use linux for networks in small businesses and it really shines in that department. Having manged a few large windows networks before I can tell you that the options and stability of linux far outweigh the problems.

I am really looking forward to Kylix having had a quick go at the linux Expo in amsterdam recently.
I think the first comment was about OpenGL? I think I saw an OpenGL demo in one of the Kylix presentations. Meaning that the QT lib. already has some OpenGL incapsulation. And that you will have an OpenGL component in Kylix perhaps? But this, ofcause, is just speculations.

Kim

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement