Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Intro to 3D

This topic is 6157 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m thinking of taking the plunge into 3D game programming (I''m already experienced with 2D). You''re probably all sick of the battle between suggesting OpenGL or Direct3D, so I''ll say up front that I''m planning on using DX8 because I hear it''s as easy as OGL, and my graphics card doesn''t have OGL acceleration. Anyway, what form of 3D graphics would you recommend I wet my feet in? I''ve heard of using voxel programming to create pseudo-3D landscapes and such (altough I thought a voxel was a 3D pixel -- could somebody clear that up for me?) -- would voxel programming be more or less difficult than true 3D programming? What would all of you knowledgable, wise, programmers suggest I start with, in terms of projects, techniques, general approach to the subject of 3D, etc? Thanks, Ishamael

I only started programming in 3D 6 months ago (I had 2D experience also). Looking back, I wish I would have first relearned 3D math and 3d geometry. I really suggest finding some tutorials on this stuff, and even reading a bit about 1st and second year calculus topics if you have time (vector and plane math).

Since I use opengl I can''t suggest any tutorials for DX8. But I think the 3d equivalent of "Hello World" is creating a box on the screen, rotating it, and moving the camera around it Heightmaps are also good to play with since everyone likes making landscapes.