Hobbox - First Game - Feedback welcomed!

Started by
4 comments, last by Naxos 18 years ago
I've just completed my first real game, aside from a terrible pong clone. Anyway, it's a vertical platformer, and your objective is to reach to 'goal' before your time/lives run out using your 'Hobbox's' various abilities(jumping, thrusting, sliding, boosting). You can get it here. Instructions are in the game menu. All feedback is highly appreciated. Thanks! Naxos EDIT: Also, if you want, you can make your own levels. Steps include: Making a .lvl file with format: easy time limit (an int) norm time limit (an int) hard time limit (an int) width (int) height(int) relative path from exe to background image (usually images/bg.jpg or similar) relative path from exe to music file (usually sounds/nameOfMusicFile.mp3 OR type none) [Level Data] // it's easy to understand the format after looking at the other ones NOTE: there cannot be a newline at the end of the last level character. Then add to the end of 'level_list.txt' in the exe's folder: path to preview image (ex. images/pre_level#.png) path to level (ex. levels/levelname.lvl) NOTE: there cannot be a newline at the end of the last level listing. Then load the game and it will show up in the level list.
Advertisement
Simple, yet difficult and fun. Nice music too. Great first game.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
Looks great! What did you use for the graphics? (SDL, OpenGL, DirectX, et cetera..) I'm also assuming this was made with C++?
Well I used the HGE 2d engine (hge.relishgames.com). It runs over directx. And yes, it's programmed in c++. And my roommate made most of the graphics with the paintbrush in photoshop.

Also, it's not too difficult is it? The levels with green stars are considered 'easy', yellow 'normal', and red 'hard'.
Nice twist on the platformer genre, congrats on completing your first game! :)

I think the difficulty is a bit on the high side, as I was having trouble with level 3, even on the easiest setting.

Another suggestion would be mouse control, but that may be difficult for this kind of game.
___________________________Z2 Gamesfeaturing Zirconia 2: Battle [4E4], Cognizance, and Boxxed
So does everyone think that it's too hard? Or is it the difficulty that makes it fun? I made sure that I could beat the every level on the hardest settings before I finalized them. Don't forget, pushing down will pop the arrow to straight up. This is immensely useful.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement