What makes a good programmer

Started by
16 comments, last by simon10k 18 years ago
What makes a good programmer? Are programmers more or less successful based on their skills? What type of skillset makes a good programmer? -- Scipio3
Advertisement
Ingeniosity, knowledge and experience would be my pick.
The ability to learn new things is key. The industry is changing on a daily basis, so eventually your current knowledge will become outdated. You will need the ability to learn the latest technologies and advancements.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Be efficient. Try to solve something with the least or best amount of code. This gets you into good habits.
<-> Rate someone badly if they say something that has absolutely nothing to do with your problem; don't rate people badly because they tried to help you with their limited knowledge. <->
I was asked this question in a job interview. I told them what makes a good programmer is love. Simply put, if you don't love doing this, you'll never achieve any of the traits of a great programmer. This trade takes a lot of practice and it's horribly tedious, especially for beginners. But, if you really love to do it, you can get past that and become an experienced programmer.

(...and yes, I did get offered the job, although I took a different offer.)
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
Ill answer this from a slightly different angle. I occasionaly hire programmers to supplement my programming skills. Some people judge a programmer by how much they have memorized, if they cant pull something off the top of their hat, thats a problem for them. I do not believe this to be a good way to judge a programmer. I have much more interest in using a programmer that has memorized less, and knows how to use the resources availiable to him better then someone who has been taught a certain way and sticks to it. There are so many resources out there, many of them free, a good programmer knows what to look for, can find the best solution, and can implement it properly. A good programmer knows where they excel , and knows how to build applications that make use of their skillsets.
As PaulCesar said, know how to properly use resources.
Most of the best, most efficient algorithms are there for you to use.
Don't suffer through reinventing the wheel when you can grab a manual or book and utilize an already proven formula quickly.

Then you can spend more time doing what you love and finding ways to cut your code down and, by doing that, you'll code more and be more productive thus making you a better programmer.

Basically, there's really no wrong answer for this question, but the best thing to do is simply program a lot.
Daniel Millerhttp://formulaic.net
Anyone can learn syntax, I look for people that are able to speak with complete sentences without having to say 'you know' or 'and stuff' all of the time. People that can work with others (this includes personal hygine and appropriate dress). People that can listen to others and work in a team environment. Math is VERY important (math is never plural!), a programmer should know basic algebra and linear algebra. Someone who is willing to physically sketch out their ideas before writing a single line of code.
Not just for programming, but I believe someone with interest and who is willing (perhaps even eager) to learn. If you are not interested in doing something, you won't do it, or you'll do it grudgingly (which is almost as bad as not doing it). If you arn't willing to learn, then you will be locked into what you've got, and will never embrace new technologies, and thus will never improve.
@PaulCesar: As Einstein once put it - "Why would I remember things that are readily available in the pages of a book?" or documented online :-P

Ill agree with all these posts, and say that a good combination of creativity, and logic are what make a good programmer.

AfroFire | Brin"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."-Albert Einstein

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement