What is worse then big rigs?

Started by
58 comments, last by Ravuya 17 years, 11 months ago

Quote:Original post by Crazy_Vasey
Quote:Original post by Cold_Steel
I don't consider them bugs. I consider them nostalgia. Brings me back to the days of playing Fallout 2. Good times, buggy game. The Fallout 2 patch even invalidated saved games. Oh, those were the days. Say, doesn't Bethesda own the rights to Fallout now?

Unfortunately, yes. They're in the early stages of developing Fallout 3 now, I think.

I would believe that bethesda would do a good job with the falout series [smile]

As far as Big Rigs is concerned. I saw the game play videos of that game. Personally, I believe the game should lean more towards being released as an incomplete product, as opposed to being extremely buggy. After all, no collision detection, and no limits to the speed of your vehicle. I'm pretty sure the devs wanted to actually get around to implementing the rest of those features.

We'll bring your children up in the classic English manner, by making them learn latin, and beating them half to death in a single sex environment.
Advertisement
think they just need to upgrade to UML++
I just got the latest patch for Civ4 (incredibly buggy game to start with), and lo and behold, it introduces a memory leak which causes the game to crash out after about 2 hours.

*sigh*

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Yes, I'm sure the games industry would be much better off if we wrote Z specifications for our software and coded everything in an annotated subset of Ada.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

You can get games that have much fewer errors, you will be paying $200-300 for them. See in software everything is a trade off. You can add features which add time and cost. You can kill more bugs, time and cost. Getting rid of the last sets of bugs become more and more expensive. Remember that a company only has so many testers to test the code, this inculdes the beta. The numbers are really fairly limited. But when you release code to the public suddenly there are hundreds of thousands of people if not millions of people pounding on it, they are bound to find bugs that the limited number of testers did not find. This is why when programs are released there are bugs. It is not because the coders and tester or even the company did not do it's job, it is because you just can't find them all.

theTroll

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

This thread is filled with utterances of experts.

New Rule:

Before you can judge the ability of creating bug free games of a given magnitude.

You need to first have made a game of said magnitude.

You know, so like, you're well versed on the topic.

Your Tetris clone of 1,000 lines is NOT a viable comparison.

Raymond Jacobs, Owner - Ethereal Darkness Interactive
www.EDIGames.com - EDIGamesCompany - @EDIGames

You know, you have in front of you such a big and complex game like Oblivion and instead of wondering in awe how those developers pulled off such a monster that works most of the time, you complain about occasional glitches, while pretending that you are an "expert" and analyzing the game system(!). So an NPC happens to not be able to reach its goal because the level designer made a little mistake in a slope or some stairs. Big deal. There are 100s of NPS's, 1000s of stairs and 1000000s of slopes. Are the going to test each and every one? Something is bound to be missed. Stop bitching and download a patch or something.
I must say, after having read a number of his threads and posts, I must nominate The C modest god as the Poster Boy for allowing User Ratings to go negative.

I find it extremely difficult to believe this person is studying any sort of engineering at a University.

I won't argue that Oblivion (and it's predecessors) is a buggy game. It is also far more complex than most other games out there. RPGs as a genre tend to be some of the most complex games in the market. These days they are all very large scale and very intricate. Ones like Oblivion come with 100+ hours of gameplay without including any sort of replayability. Hundreds of quests, thousands of items, in Oblivions case over 1000 NPCs as well. Tons of scripting. The logistics involved with this game are enormous. Few gamers even come close to comprehending the scope of creating such a game, and it's obvious that The C modest god doesn't either.
I'm not exactly sure how it goes but:
20% of a particular program's features are used 80% of the time when the program is being used.

I'm sure they tested the most important aspect of their game before releasing... Heck you can't expect them to complete every single quest a dozen different ways to find all the bugs.

Anyways... carry on.
Quote:Original post by Mithrandir
I just got the latest patch for Civ4 (incredibly buggy game to start with), and lo and behold, it introduces a memory leak which causes the game to crash out after about 2 hours.

*sigh*

Yep, mine locks up when loading a saved game. With the latest patch.

(You see the map, you can scroll around it, but you can't click on anything, there's no sound, and in the corner there's a blue textbox like you get the tech tree appearing in, and it'll say something different each time like "AI_Subsystem" or "Map set Units" etc.).

Bloody boring game anyway.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement