Savage Criticism Encouraged

Started by
16 comments, last by Oluseyi 18 years ago
I haven't drawn on a consistent basis in at least five years, probably more, but I'm getting back into it. To me, drawing as a skill is like muscle conditioning - don't use it, you lose it. Consequently, I've been trying to draw a lot recently. I also (finally) bought a tablet on Thursday, and I'm learning to flex my muscles with it (for now, I find that the felt nib helps because of greater friction between the pen and tablet surface, which gives it a more paper-like feel). Anyway, here's the first consumable drawing off the tab (per Salsa's request), and the third overall, made using ArtRage Free. Sketch of DC Comics' The Flash by Oluseyi Give me your unfettered opinions, please. I plan to pick up a comprehensive anatomical reference - some of the muscle arrangements and ligaments are out of place or just odd in perspective. And the pose is a bit whack, but, meh, comic book characters. Thanks. [smile]
Advertisement
I'm appreciating the views, but I'd really like some crit. I can tell that the legs are bad - and some people in #gamedev game some feedback - and the pose is awkward. Can I get some reactions? Even if all you've got to say is "Not bad, keep at it"? (Okay, I'd rather you said a whole lot more, preferrably about what you didn't like.)

I've been up for too long, so I'll hopefully go to bed in a bit. Unfortunately I just discovered a comprehensive history of the Flash on Monitor Duty (Part 1, Part 2)...

More stuff tomorrow, and probably every day for a while, at least on weekends.
I think you need a bit more detail at the hips, like where the legs join the body, becuase if you only look at the bottom of the picture it can look like two different views.
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re probably right – Henry Ford
The legs are too big in proportion to the body, and the arms just look too small. I think the arm in the back is bent out too far, you shouldn't see the whole shoulder popping back?
I think the arms look well drawn, however the guy looks like he's twisting his torso left instead of running. The legs look ok, mabye a bit more detail on the thighs might make it look less weird.

Hope this helps. :)
Excellent points, both. The groin area is definitely lacking in detail. I also realize that I left of The Flash's (this is Barry Allen) lightning bolt belt, which could have broken up the monotony of the mid-section. Fortunately, the chest is obscured, as I totally forgot about the logo (also a lightning bolt, on a white circle).

Next picture will be original.
-The arms are way too short.
-Hands are way too small.
-Head is too small.
-Left shin is too small.
-More structure/definition in groin.

Overall, the anatomy is really poor, it really needs alot of work, as you realize. The greatest anatomy book I've ever had is called "Anatomy made amazingly easy."
I also wouldn't worry about posed figures until you can get a figure correct in a very static, arms out, christ pose. Poses are about gesture, and are very hard to learn without studying live models, or having a REALLY good understanding of anatomy.
It really helps to first draw the underlying skeletal structure before you put flesh on it. And if the stick figure doesn't look right, then your final drawing won't, either. So keep doing over your stick figures/gestures until they look good, as in well proportions and dynamic (Flash looks to be neither).
-------------www.robg3d.com
Here's a page for the side of the head... since that looks like the area you need most help on.

http://www.fineart.sk/show.php?w=11

It looks to me like the pen size is too large. Decrease it so you're forced to draw more precisely.

And as a side note, very little looks better on a white background than black. :}

I recommend anything by Andrew Loomis ('specially Figure Drawing for all it's Worth-- All of his books can be found on the internet though, since they've been out of print for a number of years) and Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

The best advice I can give you is to start at the beginning of the Loomis books and draw everything in them, page by page. Good luck, God speed.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Anyway, here's the first consumable drawing off the tab (per Salsa's request), and the third overall, made using ArtRage Free.

Art Rage was the first bit of software I bought when I got my tablet pc, it's a great bit of software. I'd I'd highly recommend upgrading to the full version. IIRC the free one doesn't have layers support which is invaluable, and considering the price you'd be mad not to. [grin]

Personally I prefer the pen tool for quick sketching, but my drawings look terrible so who am I to comment.
Anatomical business aside, i think you might be better off with a better drawing tool. You've got the conte look going on. I've never found actual conte crayon to be of much use unless you are drawing on a really large scale or have really sharp crayons. Either way, conte is not a detail media if you ask me. I think these types of drawing would be better served with a pencil or thin paint line type of tool if you have that available.

However, if you can manage to draw anything from scratch on a graphics tablet, kudos to you! It's a lot different than a piece of paper, for sure.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement