Any Books on DirectX 10

Started by
14 comments, last by ET3D 18 years ago
So I am reading a 'beta' book on Windows Presentation Foundation by Chris Selles, and I there are books on the Windows Communication Foundation. However I havent seen any book, beta or otherwise for the windows graphic foundation. Any books coming or now avail for Directx 10 technology ? Thanks
Advertisement
Not that I've seen, no. It's still a very new technology, and it's not even finnished yet.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
As Program Wizard said, its not even out yet. I'd be surprised if there was any complete book on it. Now why you need this, I don't know. For now, learn DX 9 and wait for 10 to be released before you start using it.
How about some starup documentation, or writeups (not presentations one sees on MSDN)

I just thought that since DX10 cards come out later this year, along with Crysis - supposedly a DX10 tech using game, there should be some stuff about DX10 out there.

anyways, I guess you are right.
Too early.

Quote:Original post by Ezbez
As Program Wizard said, its not even out yet. I'd be surprised if there was any complete book on it. Now why you need this, I don't know. For now, learn DX 9 and wait for 10 to be released before you start using it.

aah just plain simple curiosity :)
The SDK contains 15 tutorials that show the basics and some samples for the more advanced stuff. IMHO most people who will write books about Direct3D 10 (not DirectX 10) later are still doing the same as any other early adopter. The try learn with the documentation and some help from others in the beta newsgroups.

[Shameless plug mode]
I will write some basic stuff how to use my managed Direct3D 10 layer over at MDXInfo.com
[/Shameless plug mode]

[Edited by - Demirug on April 15, 2006 7:45:47 AM]
Quote:Original post by Demirug
[Shameless plug mode]
I will write some basic stuff how to use my managed Direct3D 10 layer over at MDXInfo.net
[/Shameless plug mode]

Isn't it MDXInfo.com? Am I the only one paying attention, here? :)

Anywho, back on subject, IIRC, the D3D10 samples in the SDK are only previews. If I understand the terminology correctly, theres still a decent chance some stuff might change before being released. Granted, the basic ideas probably won't, but a book usually requires at least a bit of usable code :).

Hope this helps.
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
Personally I'm not the greatest fan of books written for beta/pre-release versions of software - things can and do change between beta and release, however minor, those things can end up wasting your time in the long run (broken assumptions, broken builds etc).

D3D10 is a Vista thing - it's unlikely IMO that you'll see D3D10 hardware released before Vista. Will Crysis be D3D10 only? If not, and it's released before Vista, I'd say there's a fair chance D3D10 support will come as a patch/later exposed feature.

I'm not aware of any books out there or even close to completion for D3D10 (good books take a hideously long time to write!). But there are non-MS articles/blogs covering D3D10 - in fact, Jack Hoxley, the moderator of this forum has written a fair amount of stuff on D3D10:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/d3d10overview/
http://members.gamedev.net/jhoxley/directx/DirectX10/VertexBuffersinDirect3D10.htm
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/mod/journal/journal.asp?jn=316777&#2521733http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/mod/journal/journal.asp?jn=316777&#2487489http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/mod/journal/journal.asp?jn=316777&#2473875http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/mod/journal/journal.asp?jn=316777&#2468341

[edit: last few links unlinkified and codified - seems to be a problem with the URL handling of the forum]

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Quote:Original post by sirob
Isn't it MDXInfo.com? Am I the only one paying attention, here? :)

You are right. I should not write such things after I spend a long night with coding.

Quote:Original post by sirob
Anywho, back on subject, IIRC, the D3D10 samples in the SDK are only previews. If I understand the terminology correctly, theres still a decent chance some stuff might change before being released. Granted, the basic ideas probably won't, but a book usually requires at least a bit of usable code :).

Hope this helps.

As always there will be some changes until we will see the final state. But I think the current samples will stay in the SDK and get updated if there are some breaking changes in the API. As Direct3D 10 have a very strict compatibility rule they can’t change the big picture at this late state because the GPU producer already working on the chips for Direct3D 10.

In the case of WPF there are changes two and we still have seeing book about it. But IMHO more people will use WPF than Direct3D 10 in the future. This makes it easier to find publisher for a book even if the API is still in beta and you can’t sell the book anymore after it reach the final stage.
Quote:Original post by S1CA
Will Crysis be D3D10 only?

I read an interview somewhere, where they said that everything we've seen of Crysis so far has only been the D3D9 "version".

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:Original post by S1CA
Will Crysis be D3D10 only?

I read an interview somewhere, where they said that everything we've seen of Crysis so far has only been the D3D9 "version".

Yes you are correct. The CEO said whatever we have seen so far is DX9 only. But it makes me wonder why it was being considered DX10 for all this time.

I knew that the game is supposed to run in both modes.

Why did MS show it off at their conference ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement