c++?

Started by
16 comments, last by jb_lav 18 years ago
Which is the best c++ program to get for making 3d games. Thanks for your help
Advertisement
A compiler/IDE?

Visual C++ 2005 Express
Depends on how much money you're willing to invest, though there some good free C++ compilers and IDEs, such as VC++ 2005 or Codeblocks (with GCC).

Or did you mean something else by "C++ program" ?
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Sorry I mean C++ compilers
VS 2005 Express would be the best pick for a free C++ compiler. Beware though, to start making your 3d game you will also need a bunch of libraries.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Quote:Original post by ben06
Sorry I mean C++ compilers

The best one is the one you like best. Some options are:

Dev-C++ (free)
MS Visual Studio (free for Express Edition, a couple grand for Pro edition)
Notepad + command line compiler (free many options)

Best thing to do is download Dev-C++ and the MSVS Express Edition and play around with them. Figure out which you like better.

Quote:
Beware though, to start making your 3d game you will also need a bunch of libraries.

Well, this is true no matter what compiler/IDE he uses. It's kind of irrelivant to the question.

-me
the IDE isnt a big deal but if you want to learn to program in 3D i recomend using the opengl glut
Quote:Original post by Palidine
Quote:
Beware though, to start making your 3d game you will also need a bunch of libraries.

Well, this is true no matter what compiler/IDE he uses. It's kind of irrelivant to the question.

-me

Depends on how you interpret his question.
What I meant is you need more than a 'C++ program' to make a game.
Actually I think the decision on what libraries are you going to use is much more important than deciding the compiler.

[Edited by - Calin on April 15, 2006 1:44:25 PM]

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Quote:Original post by Calin
Quote:

-me

Depends on how you interpret his question.
What I meant is you need more than a 'C++ program' to make a game.
Actually I think the decision on what libraries are you going to use is much more important than deciding the compiler.

Actually you can make a game with just C++. Text based but it's still a game.

Also, if you dont feel comfortable and know your way around your IDE well (recommend an IDE over notepad hehe but that does work) you'll be slower to develop and may become discouraged and drop the project. Also debugger(s) should be considered too. Microsoft Visual Studio Express comes with a nice one, I'm not sure about the others as I've not used them.

Best of luck.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Quote:

-me

Not really irrelevent. If you download the VS2005 express edition then you will also need to download the Platform SDK to program for Win32 as opposed to .NET. If you choose not to download the platform SDK then you can still make games if you like by using Managed DirectX.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement