• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
PumpkinPieman

[.net] Debug Assertion Failed? Hunh?

This topic is 4623 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been trying to make a copy and paste method for a treeview where if you copy it makes a clone of the tree ( a simple node->Clone() ) However, each node has a tag value that is a pointer to an attached structure. Since Object* doesn't have a public clone method I created one for each of the structures that returns this->MemberwiseClone(), and it works fine until the application is closed. Then I get this nice nasty error. Currently this is the code I use to do the copying.
				if(sn != NULL)
					copyData = __try_cast<TreeNode*>(sn->Clone());

TreeNode* iter = copyData;

for(int i = 0; i < iter->Nodes->Count; i++){
					iter = copyData->Nodes->Item;
					iter->Tag = cloneLSF(iter->Tag);
					for(int j = 0; j < iter->Nodes->Count; j++){
						iter = copyData->Nodes->Item->Nodes->Item[j];
						iter->Tag = cloneLSF(iter->Tag);
					}
				}

// note all objects inherit LSF_TYPE
System::Object* cloneLSF(System::Object* obj)
{
	if(obj != NULL){
		try{
			return __try_cast<LSF_TYPE*>(obj)->Clone();
		}
		catch(System::Exception*){}
	}
	return NULL;
}

I've tried different ways of trying to clone them, but I get a similar error so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks

Advertisement
You've got a ton of places where things can go wrong:

if(sn != NULL) // <---- if sn is NULL then coypData will remain NULL/unset
copyData = __try_cast<TreeNode*>(sn->Clone());

TreeNode* iter = copyData; // <---- if sn was NULL above you've just set iter to NULL/unset
for(int i = 0; i < iter->Nodes->Count; i++){ //<---- if iter is NULL/unset this is accessing invalid memory
iter = copyData->Nodes->Item; // <--- if copyData is NULL/unset, this is accessing invalid memory
iter->Tag = cloneLSF(iter->Tag); // <--- cloneLSF can return NULL (don't know if this can cause problems)

Are you running this in a debugger so you can walk around the callstack when that assert is thrown to see what's going on? Also, I trust that you are setting all your pointers to NULL when you create them? i.e. copyData should be NULL or a known valid value before the if (sn != NULL) line.

-me

the if(sn != NULL) line is pointless, because I already check that and make sure it can't execute that block anyway.

One of the big problems I see with the clone is this

NextNode <error: an exception of type: 0x01557810 occurred> System.Windows.Forms.TreeNode
Parent <undefined value> System.Windows.Forms.TreeNode
PrevNode <undefined value> System.Windows.Forms.TreeNode

Why is it that the cloned value has a NULL parent and prevNode, but the nextNode throws an exception? Shouldn't it be NULL as well? (I can't set it there for I can't properly loop through them)

Quote:
Original post by orbano
it would be a good idea to tell us, which line is line 52 :)

Well, that's not really one of my files. >.>

I've got around the debug assertion failed by using the clone() getData() and setData() methods to make a new structure and set the contents of this stucture and return the new one. So I guess I shouldn't have used MemberwiseClone()

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!