Programmer art *music*

Started by
3 comments, last by jbadams 18 years ago
Hello to all, I'm finishing my own 2D game engine and I start thinking about the game I'm going to create with it. So I tough how do I create sound effects (like explosions and gun shots), I don't want to rip some from the internet someware. I would like to know if its possible (some cool sound editing program?) to generate that kind of sounds on the fly? I tried jelling into my microphone but I sounds rather wierd. So if anyone knows some sort of cool program to do that stuff I would THRILLED©®. Tjaalie,
if (*pYou == ASSHOLE) { pYou->Die(); delete pYou; };
Advertisement
There's Audacity, but it only edits sounds, doesn't generate them. It can actually make simple sounds(quitar pluck, white noise, solid tone, thats about it), but its a very nice editing software. Plus its free.

What I do is go to findsounds.com and find a sound, then edit it in Audacity to fit my needs. Like if you find a gun shot sound, make a couple different versions with different amplitude, frequency, etc. and randomly choose one to play every gunshot(playing the same sound every gun shot sounds stupid). Then make considerably higher/louder/lower/quieter ones for other weapons.

FindSounds is a great website, don't be ashamed of using sounds from it. Alternatively, you could use a mic and just edit that to make it sound better.
Interesting web page- are these sounds royalty free?

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

They're supposed to be royalty free. Also check out

Free Sound Project

More of a community SFX sharing thing than FindSounds (which I've been using for years up til recently) and is fun to contribute to as well.

Tony
Actually, FindSounds does absolutely no filtering based on licencing, it's just a somewhat unusual search engine - you'll need to check the licencing of anything found with it for yourself.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement