Sign in to follow this  

Is this book any good

This topic is 4257 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Lately I've been looking into buying a good book as opposed to learning from online recources. I saw this book on Amazon, (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1592002056/sr=8-1/qid=1145117514/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-5105033-6124912?%5Fencoding=UTF8) and was wondering if anyone here could give me some opinions. For instance is this book a good start, or do you have a better one in mind. I'd appreciate any and all feedback. Oh and do you know if this is a good book for starting 3D Graphics, (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193184139X/qid=1145122929/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/102-5105033-6124912?s=books&v=glance&n=283155) Thanks Again.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I haven't read either book, but I frequently hear people say good things about it when new people ask for books to get started. If you want to know if the book(s) is(are) any good, maybe you could read the reviews from amazon.com. That's what they are there for. And if you want our opinion beyond what is provided in the reviews at amazon what do you want to know?

Guest Anonymous Poster
This is the one I'd go for (in fact I am planning on getting it), its right up to date, and Luna is concentrating on shaders which really is the way ahead now, -(for directx etc).

Introduction to 3D Game Programming with Direct X 9.0c : A Shader Approach (Paperback)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1598220160/qid=1145150745/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/104-9821499-2989508?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Beginning C++ Game Programming is an absolutely amazing book for beginners wanting to learn C++ by writing simple console-based games. As such, if you already know C++, this isn't for you, even though it's brilliantly written and explained. And if you want to learn 3D, this ain't for you either. There's no 3D, only pure C++. However, if you don't know C++ or know it just a little, this is the first book you should get. It's THE BEST C++ book for a beginner. Highly recommended.

Beginning Direct3D Game Programming is ok. If you know C++ well, I guess you could try it although I have a much better recommendation: Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0. A magnificent book. The best DirectX book out there. Note, however, that it does require some C++ knowledge. If you know the basic C++ stuff, this book is the way to go.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm certain that I will buy the first book now to learn and understand C++ better. Then when I've got the hang of it I'll buy Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0. It seems to be much better than the other one. Thanks Again for all the help.

PS: This forum sure is great for noobs like me, thanks for the quick and helpful advice

This topic is 4257 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.