game industry?

Started by
3 comments, last by Richy2k 18 years ago
i wanna be a game programmer when im older. what kind of chance is there if i can make games (hopefully by then anyway!). or is it really unlikely ill make games for a living? thanks
Advertisement
It's completely realistic to make a living creating games. How old are you, BTW? Even if you are in college with no programming or other game related skills, assuming you are a quick learner and good at problem solving, you could learn to make decent games in a couple years.

Just do some Google searches for game development and you can turn up numerous tutorials to get you started. Just start small with something like Pong and move up to Breakout, Tetris, or other semi-simple games. This way you can work on just figuring out problems and not having them be too complex to start with. Good luck and welcome to the fun world of game development.

Edit: Here are some quick links I can think of
GameTutorials.com
C++ Tutorial
OpenGL Redbook
If you are worried about jumping into C++, take a look at Blitzmax (also they have BlitzBasic and Blitz3D)
For a little bit of money (around $100) you can get the Torque Game Engine which is a full 3D engine.
And here you can get a free 2D game engine.
yeah dude, im 13 and im currently learning c++. im then gonna learn opengl. ive seen some books i'll get.
Apart from knowledge of how to program and how to utilize the tools. I would suggest you to have solid knowledge of Mathematics. Although, you might not use it directly, but it will influence on your program. Also, try to understand low level programming. This will give you idea of hardware. In my opinion, you shouldn't rush yourself to know "how to do" yet (anyway, you shouldn't neglect it either), knowing strong fundamental is important.

(It's my opinion)
--ThoneDatadream Co. Ltd.
Damn I didn't start C++ till I was 16 or so. I used BASIC since I was 10 -> 16. You are starting at the right age! I think most of us here probably wanted to make games from being young...me? I've ALWAYS wanted to make em since I got a NES. I am now 20, studying BSc Computer Games Software Engineering, and applying for placements within games companies currently. Yes, you can make a living making games! Just stick with it, learn your stuff, and have fun!
Adventures of a Pro & Hobby Games Programmer - http://neilo-gd.blogspot.com/Twitter - http://twitter.com/neilogd

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement