Sign in to follow this  

API

This topic is 4259 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey, I recently started programming games and I was wondering if it was wise of me to start off with SDL as an API. I presume directX and openGL are (a lot) more powerfull? Are there large differences and wouldn't it be best to start with what i probably will finish with. I read somewhere that you can combine openGL with SDL. Is this also true for directX? Further i don't know what the difference between directX and openGL is. I have this global view (which may be wrong) that directX is generally used to create realistic looking games while openGL is preferred for , how should i put it, artistical, polished games... Basicly i'm wondering if i should switch to directX or openGL right now or just keep getting a better view on programming with SDL..

OpenGL and DirectX can be used to do exactly the same things i.e. Doom 3 uses openGL.
I've never used SDL so I can't comment on that, but I do think that openGL is easier for a beginner to use. Though that's just my opinion, and you should just go with the one you like best.

SDL is a good 2D API, so I would recommend starting with that if you don't have any experience with graphics API's. Personally, I prefer OGL over DirectX, but that's just a preference, some people find DX easier to learn than OGL, and vice versa, you'll just have to try them both out and see.

Good Luck!

This topic is 4259 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.