Copying part of one texture into another

Started by
7 comments, last by ET3D 18 years ago
Hi, Can anyone tell me the best way to copy one IDirect3DTexture9 to another? I specifically want to be able to copy part of one to part of another. I will be doing so at initialisation, so speed is not paramount. I am trying to attach together several procedurally generated textures to create a single one, thus avoiding unnecessary SetTexture() calls at run time. Many thanks Simon
Advertisement
Test whit StretchRect.
StretchRect and UpdateSurface can do what you want. Each has different limitations. UpdateSurface only works from a surface in the SYSMEM pool to one in the DEFAULT pool. StretchRect is more flexible but can only copy onto a render target (except for off-screen planes, which can be copied onto other off-screen planes).

If you want to copy everything into a normal texture in the MANAGED pool, the easiest way is probably to lock the end result (or use GetRenderTarget and lock the result of that) and copy to the texture.
Can I simply lock both textures and perform a pixel to pixel looping copy, if both textures were of identical format?

If so how would I perform that copy?

Thanks

Si
Render to a texture. If you want to copy the top-left quarter of your texture, render a quad from u = 0 -> 0.5 and v = 0 -> 0.5. Just make sure you render to the entire texture (basically rendering fullscreen, but to the texture).
-------Harmotion - Free 1v1 top-down shooter!Double Jump StudiosBlog
blaze, u r a genius! thats such an easier way of doing it. I got rendering to textures working the other day.

I'll try it right now!

Thanks
Quote:Original post by sipickles
blaze, u r a genius!

Giggity giggity.
-------Harmotion - Free 1v1 top-down shooter!Double Jump StudiosBlog
You can use D3DXLoadSurfaceFromSurface to copy parts from one texture top level surface to another one. If your texture destination texture has mipmaps you should call D3DXFilterTexture as final operation to regenerate all mips.
Quote:Original post by sipickles
blaze, u r a genius! thats such an easier way of doing it. I got rendering to textures working the other day.

If you're going to use render targets, I'd suggest using StretchRect. Why go the ugly way when there's a function that already does what you want?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement