Sign in to follow this  

land growth algorith?

This topic is 4241 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am playing around with developing a simple game. I need a land-growth algorithm that will create reasonable looking regions in a simple grid map... much like the land-forms created in Civilization and games like that. I don't need different land types... just land and water... that's it. Can anyone point to such an algorithm? Thanks, -anton

You should look into Perlin noise. Google about and you'll find some more math-related articles based on it, but not too many programming ones. However, its actually fairly striaght-forward, given enough time to tweak with settings. If you need any help or example code, I'd be glad to help.

Perlin noise can create some very nice looking terrain and it is the technique used in many professional games. I pretty sure that Oblivion uses it to pre-generate land in the Construction Set(modding tool, if you're not an Elder Scrolls-fan). Many programs use it to generate 'fog' or 'clouds'. Just go into the Gimp or Photoshop and generate some random clouds, and you'll see Perlin Noise in effect.

Best of luck!

This topic is 4241 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.