holiday events in mmorpgs

Started by
7 comments, last by Codman 18 years ago
[dumb little rant] If an MMORPG holds holiday events, it should hold them on the day BEFORE the holiday when people are bored waiting for the holiday to arrive, not on the HOLIDAY ITSELF when everyone is busy! [flaming] [/rant]

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
Yeah, but then the people that only have the game as their life would be bored on the holiday itself.

Think of thoes without a life!
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Any particular one you referring to? If I would take a stab in the dark I'd have to say you were most likely bashing Blizzard... in which case can I join? :P
--Ter'Lenth
Quote:Original post by Terlenth
Any particular one you referring to? If I would take a stab in the dark I'd have to say you were most likely bashing Blizzard... in which case can I join? :P

Lol no, actually Gaia Online. They're having an easter egg hunt event, and it's the second one of their holiday events I'll miss because I'm busy.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I play EverQuest II and since they haven't done anything tonight that I'm aware of I'm assuming they are hosting an event tomorrow as well. *le sigh*
Why go through the trouble of adding christmas hats to a online game if 97% of your players are offline at the time? Makes no sense to me.
Although, easter isn't much of a get together event, like christmas or halloween, so there will still be a decent amount of players online.
That's why holiday events on FFXI last 7 - 10 days, running from before the holiday to a little bit after. Not to mention they get in at least 6 or 7 holiday events a year (some are Japanese holidays to be precise). Holiday event items range from being junk to very interesting to items you have to get, but most of the time they make it worthwhile.
Maybe the holiday events should last two days starting from the holiday itself, so the people who are busy get on mostly the day after, and the people with nothing better to do the same day.

The day before busy people will be busy making preparations, the day after the only thing could be cleaning a mess.
Hollidays are not during the same period in different countries. Ever tought about that?

Games are not ment to relax your mind and body. Hollidays are. ;)
-----------------------------How to create atmosphere? Bring in EMOTIONS!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement