2D shoot 'em up in C#

Started by
5 comments, last by Ezbez 18 years ago
Hi there, I'm umm not 100% sure of what I am doing for a coding project for uni, but if it is ok to ask, do you think my idea is plausable using Visual C#? More or less what my plan is to make a 2D shoot 'em up in Visual C# using picture boxes on a form for the graphics. I'm not really sure if I should try and do this in this fasion but I can see how it all would work. My knowledge of C# is perhaps, not quite what it should be (I really need to read up on pointers, constructors and deconstuctors and classes) and I don't really have a great amount of faith in my ability to be honest... But I can see how differernt parts of the program would fit together, all I need to do is make them. Umm, sorry if this is the wrong kind of question to be asking or anything... ^^; //Xi
Advertisement
Definetly possible ;-)

C# with Managed Direct X is fast enough.

Check out .NET Game Programming in C#
You might want to try other methods to draw graphics with. I'm sure they're easier to handle, game programming-wise. SDL.NET? Managed Direct3D?
There's a Microsoft/Digipen webcast series that covers exactly that, a top-down sidescroller for C#. It's at a pretty affordable price-- FREE (which is always hard to argue with), and you can stream it in from their website...

Microsoft/Digipen Game Development Webcast

Go to the bottom of the page to the 2-d game development series. Once you finish with those first 10 hours of lectures (and some hours of your own work), you can think about going on to the 3-d game development series.

I hope this helps!
You have a number of options when it comes to 2D in C#. You could go down as low level as you want through both DirectX or OpenGL. DirectX can be accessed via Managed DirectX and OpenGL can be accessed via Tao.OpenGl.

I've been playing with wrapping up a large chunk of the Tao Framework into a simple scripting interface for 2D games (code-named Gsl) and it has been working perfectly. Details of that are in my journal. Hopefully one day I'll get the confidence to upload it to SourceForge and see if the project can grow to something larger. Considering how much of the Tao Framework it uses, I wouldn't be suprised.

You could also use the high level 2D graphics API SDL through SDL.NET for cross platform capabilities (Linux and Mac through Mono). Although I've never tried it, there's Flat Red Ball which is apparently a 2D game engine Managed DirectX wrapper.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Hi there guys, thanks for your help ^_^ I think I might try FlatRedBall as it seems a little easier to use than managed DirectX (even though it uses DirectX), I have tried working in DirectX before, but I fared really badly at it ^^; but then, so did a lot of people, to the extent that this time around, that particular module is in OpenGl instead (but then I'm still clueless about that as well ^^; ) I'm geussing that the picture boxes on a form is a really bad idea ^^;

//Xi
I second the SDL recomendations. Its a really easy library to use(though I've never used it in .NET).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement