Sign in to follow this  
Terlenth

[web] Java in the Backend

Terlenth    300
Recently I did a Software Engineering project for university where we had to develop a Control Management System. For those who aren't overly sure its basically a system which stores documents, their revisions, etc. Now my group decided we wanted to do the project with Java Applets and such, which we later learned was technically not the best idea from the get go in terms of actual practicality. Something about security :P Anyways, on to my actual question. I know that it is possible to port Java to things like Flash, HTML, and such. But, what I'm wondering is to the actual practicality of using Java to handle SQL queries, FTP handling, etc. Is there too much performance degredation or does it actually work fairly well? For our small project it worked quite well, I'm more wondering about larger scale and longr running. Thanks in advance. Edit: Just thought that I would mention. This is for implimentation through a web based interface. Not necessarily a standalone application.

igni ferroque    415
Quote:
Control Management System

Surely you mean, "content management system." ;)

Quote:
For our small project it worked quite well, I'm more wondering about larger scale and longr running.

Java is fast and reliable enough to be used in large scale projects. If you hit a limitation, look at your code and hardware first.

Terlenth    300
Yeah, I meant Content... I've been a bit lacking in catching my normal mistakes when it comes to things like that. Yay for being burnt out from the semester...

Thanks for the info.

I guess my next question would be, is there something else that I should consider using? Or would Java work just as well?

When programing I found that using Java to handle the server accesses was a lot easier to program than using PHP and such.

igni ferroque    415
Quote:
When programing I found that using Java to handle the server accesses was a lot easier to program than using PHP and such.

I guess my next question would be, is there something else that I should consider using? Or would Java work just as well?

There are various frameworks available for Java that make things even easier. The Spring Framework has many features; notably, a database abstraction layer and an MVC web application framework. You can take advantage of the different parts as needed without having to rewrite all of your code around the framework.

There is also Apache Cocoon, which is very useful for assembling pages from different data sources. A number of content management systems are based upon it, including Daisy, and Apache Lenya.

Kylotan    9858
Java is very capable of doing all these things. However I also get the impression that it's far from being very good at it, and that adoption has always been more down to business and marketing than actual language suitability. Java is the new IBM ("No manager ever got fired for choosing IBM") and tends to get picked because management want it, not because programmers want it. Most of the interesting applications appearing these days are using something else, like Ruby or Python. Although on paper they have worse performance than Java, you tend to develop your software at about 10x the speed so you have plenty of spare time for optimising if and when you need it.